Best Acrylic Tank Manufacturer???????

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been very happy with my miracles custom tanks.

Fwiw maybe 10-15 years ago locally there was an acrylic trend here for large reef tanks. For those that are still in the club and being used every single person I talked with locally regrets getting acrylic for the scratching. Just what people have told me. No doubt plenty love them but that hasn't been what my local folks have experienced.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been very happy with my miracles custom tanks.

Fwiw maybe 10-15 years ago locally there was an acrylic trend here for large reef tanks. For those that are still in the club and being used every single person I talked with locally regrets getting acrylic for the scratching. Just what people have told me. No doubt plenty love them but that hasn't been what my local folks have experienced.

There is a downside to any product you use...like exploding glass panels...and scratched acrylic. Given that we have not developed transparent Aluminum yet we have to learn to accept imperfect materials and use them the best way we can.

Just lightly tapped my ADA glass tank on a counter edge while re-wrapping it for storage and guess what it chipped. Never would have touched my acrylic tanks or left a mark. So there are limits and neither glass or acrylic checks all the boxes for the best material.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a downside to any product you use...like exploding glass panels...and scratched acrylic. Given that we have not developed transparent Aluminum yet we have to learn to accept imperfect materials and use them the best way we can.

Just lightly tapped my ADA glass tank on a counter edge while re-wrapping it for storage and guess what it chipped. Never would have touched my acrylic tanks or left a mark. So there are limits and neither glass or acrylic checks all the boxes for the best material.

No doubt about that. Nothing is perfect. I will say I had my miracles rimless 120 built from 3/4" Starfire and with glass that think it seems like I could drop it off the roof and it would be fine, lol.

It's so heavy for a 4x2x2 tho... That part sucks.

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt about that. Nothing is perfect. I will say I had my miracles rimless 120 built from 3/4" Starfire and with glass that think it seems like I could drop it off the roof and it would be fine, lol.

It's so heavy for a 4x2x2 tho... That part sucks.
The heavy part of glass is also an issue because always need an army of people to move a tank. I have 110 oceanic that weighs a ton, I also used to have 120 tenecor acrylic tank which I was able to carry easily with a friend. The 110 was a real challenge , so I can only imagine a 180 or 220 would be much much heavier.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heavy part of glass is also an issue because always need an army of people to move a tank. I have 110 oceanic that weighs a ton, I also used to have 120 tenecor acrylic tank which I was able to carry easily with a friend. The 110 was a real challenge , so I can only imagine a 180 or 220 would be much much heavier.

Yea, it's what I consider the only downside to that tank. The 120 was such a pain to move too because it wasn't all that long to get more people on it, very cramped. Suction cups help a lot, people don't like to spend the money on decent ones, but it's money well spent for me.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This btw, brings up a point that's worth considering. With a 30" width, the stress modulus on any particular point on the bottom will be a good deal higher than with a narrower tank, whether acrylic or glass. So it may be well worth considering whether the particular manufacturer of the tank is a competent stand builder, and perhaps factor that into whichever builder you choose.

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This btw, brings up a point that's worth considering. With a 30" width, the stress modulus on any particular point on the bottom will be a good deal higher than with a narrower tank, whether acrylic or glass. So it may be well worth considering whether the particular manufacturer of the tank is a competent stand builder, and perhaps factor that into whichever builder you choose.
Very true and excellent point, I definitely will be getting the stand from whoever makes the tank. Midwest custom aquariums has a lot of photos of nice stands they have built and stress the fact that their stands are built with correct bracing

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good information, do you have any pictures of both stands and styles, would like to see them and see the issues as well.
Sorry to be slow. Here are pix of the tanks/stands and some of the issues I have with them. CD would have taken the stands back to fix them, but then I would have had the tanks sitting in my living room for months, waiting for the stands to be repaired. I love the quality of the aquariums and the stands are not bad, but I waited nearly 6 months from ordering each time, when 12 weeks was quoted...

150reef_full.jpg

lightly_sanded_drip.jpg

drip.jpg

discus_full.jpg

rough_door_edge.jpg

camineet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Clarity Plus 100g about 20yrs ago that I absolutely loved. It came with a nice scratch removal kit in a blue plastic box that worked well. Now I'm re-entering the hobby and am absolutely gutted that I sold the tank for like $100 some time ago. I bought a rimless glass 30g for my new build, and I can recall that my 100g acrylic was lighter, and had some awfully pretty corners.

330Bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked for a guy for almost 2 years that owns an Acrylic Tank manufacturing company, I can't suggest them so I won't say which, but I will say that I wouldn't believe everything you see in a video. I work full time in the industry and have been the president of 2 marine aquarium societies, still am the prez of one and I will tell you that I have never seen an acrylic tank that over a year old that is not scratched up beyond what could be repaired without distorting the view.
Not quite true. If you treat it like a car or a pair of glasses you won't scratch it. I had zero on a huge tank when I took care of it. But others sure they will scratch but in 17 years I have a tanks that still looks great yes some scratches from people not being careful. Like if you clean your car dry with sand it will scratch the paint. If you use water and soap you will scratch the paint far less. My glasses are 2 years old not one scratch, other people they ruin them quicky by dry wiping them with paper towel.

In terms of repairing. All the scratches can be fixed by people that know what they are doing. Its the easiest type to fix its a plano surface no curve. (A curved front would by more difficult) All scratches can easily be removed by a professional. and no distortion its factor new looking.
Sure if you get some jar head with a buffing wheel going nuts you could make waves.

1 year scratched tanks so scratched they can't be repaired. Sounds like some mis information to me.

Acrylic tanks are great and yes they will scratch easier than glass but the pros outweigh it IMHO. Index of refection is near seawater so super think looks much better than super thick glass.
I've had both, I think smaller tanks glass is fine large no way.

lindaronstadt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great to hear that you're considering an acrylic aquarium for your new tank! Both Midwest Custom Aquarium and Acrylic Creations are reputable manufacturers known for their quality products. Acrylic aquariums indeed provide fantastic clarity and durability, enhancing the overall viewing experience and ensuring a long-lasting tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back