Best Alkalinity Test Kit of 2019! | BRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

What's your favorite Alkalinity Test Kit?

• Salifert alkalinty

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • Hanna Checker dKH

Votes: 63 60.6%
  • Aquaforest alkalinity

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Tropic Marin KH Pro

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Red Sea Alkalinity Pro

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Nyos Alkalinity

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neptune Trident

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Lamotte Alkalinity

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hannah DKH has been my favorite thus far. Question for other users of this product, the syringe you use to put the reagent in the cuvette, do you have to use that tip or can you use just the syringe itself? I've been doing is the latter way but if that tip is suppose to be used i'll start doing it.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hannah DKH has been my favorite thus far. Question for other users of this product, the syringe you use to put the reagent in the cuvette, do you have to use that tip or can you use just the syringe itself? I've been doing is the latter way but if that tip is suppose to be used i'll start doing it.
I use it with the tip

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna is my favorite with Tropic Marin KH pro as a close second and the one I use as backup. The end point is super easy to see which I can't say for most of the others I've tried. If you haven't used the Tropic Marin you should try it.

Last edited:

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the tip but have wondered about just using the syringe.

U

User1

View Badges
No love for Alkatronics, KHD, or KHG?

"Test Kit"

That is why it wasn't included nor the trident. Those are automated devices whereas the kits are what most people have used for years and years. And to be truthful per the other video BRS did was that two or more people can use the same test kit on the same tank water and still get different results.

Consistency and human factor with home kits...

gojk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Test Kit"

That is why it wasn't included nor the trident. Those are automated devices whereas the kits are what most people have used for years and years. And to be truthful per the other video BRS did was that two or more people can use the same test kit on the same tank water and still get different results.

Consistency and human factor with home kits...
Except the Trident is included in the list.....

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's not required, the only difference would be the "air gap". If the plunger is on 1ml it's 1ml of reagent regardless if it's held in the tip or in the actual syringe.

U

User1

View Badges
They sell the KHD though...

@saf1 I was particularly giving grief about the poll.

All good. I honestly wasn't sure if it was covered or not in the video and I didn't pay attention to the poll until the replies. So it was on me regardless :D

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good. I honestly wasn't sure if it was covered or not in the video and I didn't pay attention to the poll until the replies. So it was on me regardless :D

I saw the poll before watching the video and was kinda surprised they didn't advertise the Trident... but then I remember the pitchforks people have towards them about availability.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the API option ;Nailbiting just kidding!

I switched and now use salifert and love it!

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was brought up in the other thread, but the methodology used in testing the Alk kits means their conclusions on accuracy were completely invalid. It also means they shouldn’t have been using them on this segment to evaluate the tests.

Regarding the specific tests, some of their complaints were really petty. Not having a laminated card for the instructions and colors on the Tropic Marin test? Seriously? You count the drops and watch the color change. If you can’t remember that then you’re not testing often enough for it to matter.

Likewise on reading the syringe or having to convert the results. Yes it’s inconvenient, but if I had that test, I’d simply make a sheet with the conversion of ml to dKH and use that.

I like the Hanna checker - quick, easy and easy to read. I assume it’s accurate, but it would have been nice to know for sure.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 162 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.2%
Back