Best alternative to Chaeto?

NC Jim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to get macro algae going in my refugium and finding a source of chaeto let alone clean is very difficult at this point in time. What would be my next best alternative? I am not interested in caulerpa or anything else with inherent risks of a similar nature.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get chaeto from anyone. Then dip it in a rodi water for couple hours. Shake it up until nothing else falls out.
Of course by doing this, its also kill any pods that might be in the chaeto

OP
OP
N

NC Jim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Philly Reefer what about dipping it in a pesticide like bayer? I know people do that with corals to get rid of pests would it nuke the algae?

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Philly Reefer what about dipping it in a pesticide like bayer? I know people do that with corals to get rid of pests would it nuke the algae?
I have not tried that with chaeto. I do dip my corals with bayer.

Bayer is a strong chemical. So if you want, try it with a small clump of chaeto then rinse it well with rodi or saltwater

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use feather caulerpa, works well for me I’d send you some.

OP
OP
N

NC Jim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard in some cases it can turn asexual and waste away. I am grateful for the offer :) but I do not want to chance a caulerpa.

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s grape caulerpa that goes sexual and has problems, I’ve never had any trouble with feather caulerpa, however I understand your reservations.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a whole lot of Chaeto to start with.
I had your same fear so I started out with a piece about the size of three golf balls. At that size I was able to clean it thoroughly and also visually inspect it inch by inch very carefully. I found numerous small pods and other unknown stuff that I rinsed out with SW until nothing could be found, i literally puled it apart strand by strand and the balled it back up and zip tied it down in my sump near to the surface.

I used the 24/7 high intensity light system and that 3" ball turned into a 6" ball in 3-4 days.
Six weeks later it was enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket. I have been meaning to get it rolling on a spindle but it's been doing so well I have just left it alone.

Now I trim off about enough to fill a one gallon jug every week and it just grows back within days.
No parasites or pests have shown up in my tank.
I did keep the Pods that I shook off on the first clean and they have multiplied quite a bit.

The point is start with something really small that you can make sure is pest free, it only takes a couple of weeks to have a large ball of it.

OP
OP
N

NC Jim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a whole lot of Chaeto to start with.
I had your same fear so I started out with a piece about the size of three golf balls. At that size I was able to clean it thoroughly and also visually inspect it inch by inch very carefully. I found numerous small pods and other unknown stuff that I rinsed out with SW until nothing could be found, i literally puled it apart strand by strand and the balled it back up and zip tied it down in my sump near to the surface.

I used the 24/7 high intensity light system and that 3" ball turned into a 6" ball in 3-4 days.
Six weeks later it was enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket. I have been meaning to get it rolling on a spindle but it's been doing so well I have just left it alone.

Now I trim off about enough to fill a one gallon jug every week and it just grows back within days.
No parasites or pests have shown up in my tank.
I did keep the Pods that I shook off on the first clean and they have multiplied quite a bit.

The point is start with something really small that you can make sure is pest free, it only takes a couple of weeks to have a large ball of it.
Out of curiosity, what refugium light are you using? I am probably going with a Kessil H160 for a 75 gallon. I thought that would be enough power to help raise night time PH and export sufficient nutrients.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love caulerpa, I've used it for many years, running 4 refuges and a reactor, and have never had the issues of fear you may read about, this may be an overblown issue. Ulva is a 2nd runner up, this stuff is great. Gracilaria is 3rd. I've never been a fan of chaeto, although it is in one of my refuges.

Uroplatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love caulerpa, I've used it for many years, running 4 refuges and a reactor, and have never had the issues of fear you may read about, this may be an overblown issue. Ulva is a 2nd runner up, this stuff is great. Gracilaria is 3rd. I've never been a fan of chaeto, although it is in one of my refuges.
What kind do you use?

OP
OP
N

NC Jim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not like the look of chaeto. I wanted it because it is safe, easy for most tanks and pods love it. The micro fauna in my tank is a priority. I actually love the red ogo look.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, what refugium light are you using? I am probably going with a Kessil H160 for a 75 gallon. I thought that would be enough power to help raise night time PH and export sufficient nutrients.
30 gallon DIY with three compartments
I don't have much of a pH fluctuation because my skimmer is getting air from outside. The Kessil H160 is more than enough light, may even be a bit of overkill since I would suggest you keep the light around 5" off the surface to keeps down Coralline growth in other areas of the sump.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back