Best amino to color coral back up?

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little question here. I have a perpetually low nutrient load in my mixed reef and our efflo although growing well with good daytime and nighttime pe(the giant clear ones it throws at night to feed are amazing!) it seems to have lost some of its deep green in its core. Nitrates top out at about .2 on salifert and 0 phosphate on the Hanna with no variance while running myself out of reagent hahaha. I feed reefroids half dose every other night. So my question is I guess should I up my feeding level or invest in a quality amino supplement? Maybe both?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure amino's will significantly affect your NO3 and PO4. I dose Aquavitro Fuel a couple of times a week for aminos. Couldn't really tell you if it helps or not, but my corals seem to grow well with good color. To increase your NO3 an PO4, you could increase feeding slightly or reduce the amount of water you change out slightly. I wouldn't make any big changes right away. Do you use GFO or run a fuge?

OP
OP
I’ma tempermental coral

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has to be some in there. My macro seems to be healthy. But it does go without saying this is a Hanna phosphate. Not a ulr phosphorus checker. So variance with a 0.00 reading could be as high as 0.04. Admittedly 4 tests in a row all show 0s prompted me to call Hanna and double check it wasn’t user error or potentially a checker error. I do have 50 reagents that arrived today so I will be trying again later today.

OP
OP
I’ma tempermental coral

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No gfo and yes a giant fuge against a VERY low bio load. At one point I did turn the fuge light time down too far and saw a little bit of die off in my cheato bumped it up half an hour from there and health returned. That said the purpose of turning the light down was absolute zero nutrients both N03 and P04 were completely zeroed out before.

OP
OP
I’ma tempermental coral

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, so far general consensus is aminos may not really help. And a bump in feeding amount to balance out the nutrient depletion from the large refugium? Should I stay on the every other night schedule and feed more or start feeding every day for a few days to bolster?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried aminos a couple years ago, got a ton of cyano and no positive results. I'd try other methods of getting phosphate up first. Lots of posts about phosphate dosing if you want to try that.

OP
OP
I’ma tempermental coral

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are all in qt. Medium size cleaner shrimp, one large white and one large black (among babies) I believe they are called elephant snails. So like I said next to no bio load. As far as standard feeding. I don’t. The cleaner chases copapods and amphipods all day(rather entertaining to watch!) he does steal brine from the lps when I spot feed them before I reef roid the tank.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as pulling out cheato wouldn’t that just promote even faster growth? Forgive my ignorance, but it would seem that would be the same as pruning say a fruit tree?
No, it would not. You can think of it more as a nutrient sponge. The bigger the algae, the more nutrients it can absorb. So, with a smaller algae, it uses less nutrients.

OP
OP
I’ma tempermental coral

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But we are still getting somewhere! Here’s what I’ve got so far! Daily feed the little guy, but maintain my reef roid schedule, get a phosphorus tester, read about and learn phosphate dosing, and try and stay away from aminos for this type of problem. Have I got that right so far?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back