Best Aquarium to start (money not a big issue)

MissingYuengling

View Badges
Reaction score
I’m new to saltwater aquariums. I have been reading and watching different sources to learn about the different aspects to reefing and I wanted an experienced person’s opinion about tanks. I have wanted to do this for a long time and I am in my mid 40s with not much concern about the cost. I was considering a tank between 50-75 gallons, perhaps a Red Sea Reefer 250 or something comparable. What is everyone’s recommendation for a beginner tank in that range? Is it a big deal to start out with a sump versus just going all in one? Just seeking some advice.

Thanks

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
There are many places to get a tank from. The most popular companies seems to be Red Sea and Waterbox. However, I heard Red Sea has been giving bad customer service lately. Not sure about waterbox though.

A sump is definitely much better than AIO. You will have a bigger space with more choices to add the equipment.

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!!! Red sea tanks are very nice. I personally want me a water box... If I could change my first saltwater tank, I would of had an external sump... So you are thinking smartly about it... Lmk what you end up getting!!!

https://www.omegasea.net/

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Now that I have an AIO and have used both I would never go back to a sump. Only two downsides to a AIO is it is slightly less total water volume then a sump and u cant have a refugium but those r probably the only two small downsides of a AIO. So much more simple. They're more expensive but when u consider the price of a sump it comes pretty close... I have seen amazing AIO tanks and they're perfectly capable of sustaining a beautiful tank. You also get to have the storage below the tank for a dosing and or ATO system and any other supplies. If I could choose a size to start with without price being a problem it would probably be around 150 and or some other 6' tank. A lot of good brands. I have red sea and am very satisfied with it.

AZMSGT

Thanks for all the Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. Skip Red Sea, they are over rated and they have had leakage issues.

Reef Octopus is now making aquariums. They have a 48g that looks awesome. Comes with a sump, pump, and skimmer.

Reef Octopus is great gear.. so you can’t go wrong.

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. Skip Red Sea, they are over rated and they have had leakage issues.

Reef Octopus is now making aquariums. They have a 48g that looks awesome. Comes with a sump, pump, and skimmer.

Reef Octopus is great gear.. so you can’t go wrong.
Never heard of a red Sea leaking mine is the old red Sea 130 max series and has 0 leaks

Top Shelf Aquatics

schuby

View Badges
Reaction score
I'd suggest going with the size you mentioned, keeping in mind that you will learn much and likely experience some unpleasantness. After you've mastered your first satwater tank, then get a bigger, better tank with all the features you know you want.

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
I cant suggest a company but i can recommend a tank size, as a beginner myself i found myself overwhelmed when i sat down and started looking into tanks and equipment. I like the smaller builds for beginners, i started with a 20 and sort of wish i had gotten a 29-50 gallon. If money isnt an issue than perhaps build a smaller system to learn the basics and upgrade to a bigger tank as you progress.

rhastareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
If you love the hobby you're always going to wish you went bigger so you can have access to the more 'utilitarian' and 'cool' fish plus more room for coral. Reef Savvy makes some of the nicest tanks around but you're gonna wait a few months and I mean a few. Waterbox makes nice stuff and I prefer their dimensions (deeper offerings). Can't really complain but my Reefer series tank but like I said, wish I bought the biggest one...

AZMSGT

Thanks for all the Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Never heard of a red Sea leaking mine is the old red Sea 130 max series and has 0 leaks
I’ve read about 130, 250, 400, 500 and 750 failures. I frequent this forum daily and in many cases twice a day. Fortunately for me, I haven’t read about any 625 failures. That’s the tank I own. After reading about so many issues with these tanks there is no way I would ever recommend a Red Sea.

Here’s a thread to help.
I have seen first hand the problems shown in the above thread.

I’ve watched Red Sea delete posts and ban people that had failures on their Facebook group. They are not a trust worthy company.

Last edited:

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I’ve read about 130, 250, 400, 500 and 750 failures. I frequent this forum daily and in many cases twice a day. Fortunately for me, I haven’t read about any 625 failures. That’s the tank I own. After reading about so many issues with these tanks there is no way I would ever recommend a Red Sea.

Here’s a thread to help.

I’ve watched Red Sea delete posts and ban people that had failures on their Facebook group. They are not a trust worthy company.
They deleted any negative comments until they couldn't hide it anymore either.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It really depends on what you want. Reef I would say a 180 with sump is perfect. FO a 300 wide would be what I'd do.

The size you reference in a kit I'd go with a waterbox 100.

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score

Here’s a thread to help.

Ok well all ik is mine hasn't had a problem and up until now I haven't heard of that but I guess they do have a problem... In that case I would probably recommend Inovative Marine but only based on the tanks that a LFS keeps.

Is there anything that grosses you out about saltwater aquariums?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 138 43.7%
  • No

Votes: 175 55.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 0.9%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Reef Kinetics