Best Aquarium to start (money not a big issue)

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within reason, the larger the tank the easier to maintain. The larger water volume has less tendency to have radical shifts in parameters. Also, it seems people start with a small tank and within a year look to upgrade. I started with a 54 gallon which I called my "proof of concept". I learned quite a bit. Within a year I upgraded to a Waterbox Peninsula 5526 (130 gallon display tank, 40 gallon sump, pic attached now in month 4 of the BRS 4-month cycle). Even with this I envy the reefers with larger tanks and all they are able to do. Bottom line, I recommend a 100+ gallon system with sump. The sump is not hard to maintain and gives you the flexibility to install a number of options which over time you will want (i.e. skimmer, reactor, scrubber/refug, etc.) Best to you and welcome to the club!

Aquarium 2.jpg

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m new to saltwater aquariums. I have been reading and watching different sources to learn about the different aspects to reefing and I wanted an experienced person’s opinion about tanks. I have wanted to do this for a long time and I am in my mid 40s with not much concern about the cost. I was considering a tank between 50-75 gallons, perhaps a Red Sea Reefer 250 or something comparable. What is everyone’s recommendation for a beginner tank in that range? Is it a big deal to start out with a sump versus just going all in one? Just seeking some advice.

Thanks
Hi! I would definitely check out our Cade Aquariums on our site! :) ~ Shaun K.

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As previously mentioned if you tell us what you want to keep that will help us give you a better recommendation

do you have a specific fish that sparked your interest?
A specific coral you want to keep

all of these would change what I would recommend

also Red Sea has some serious customer service issues and a lot of tanks have had quality issues however - many people have them and are successful so just keep all that in mind when deciding. If you have a Red Sea distributor near you and trust them then maybe reach out and see if they have had many issues and how they deal with it

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to align with the folks that are asking you what you want to do with it, and point out that, even the people that have recommended a dream tank have alluded to their learning experiences on smaller tanks. Congratulations on being a patient adult with the means to indulge in a hobby - I recommend you extend those virtues into your tank. Get something you can learn on - maybe in the 29-55 range. Set up a simple sump in a box and plumb it up. Try out things like carbon dosing or algae scrubbing, or lots of rock vs in-sump media, or sand vs bare-bottom. You'll start to figure out what you really want in a final product. A lot of things you buy will still work on a new tank - RODI, ATO, ... Give your tank a 1-year birthday party in mid-2021, crack open a Yuengling, move your furniture, and go order a great tank knowing what you want. If you don't introduce anything new in the move, it will be a handy quarantine period as well.

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I would definitely check out our Cade Aquariums on our site! :) ~ Shaun K.

These cade tanks looks nice - come with an assembled ALUMINUM stand?! My biggest concern with tanks is actually the stand, most of which are ugly or junky (Red Sea...).

the ato rez within the tank is a little weird!
Tell us more about these tanks? Where are they made? Any plans for a peninsula mode? 180 peninsula ftw...

OP
OP
M

MissingYuengling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all of the feedback. At this point, I plan to have colorful soft corals, fish, and some hardy invertebrates, but I don't think I am currently interested in having difficult to keep corals (for now). Some other considerations: I do have a cat which may necessitate a tank cover and I plan to place it in my living room on dark-colored hard wood floors. Also, should I change the dedicated outlet where I intend to place it into a GFCI?
Thanks, thrilled to get such great feedback.

PBLRDom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all of the feedback. At this point, I plan to have colorful soft corals, fish, and some hardy invertebrates, but I don't think I am currently interested in having difficult to keep corals (for now). Some other considerations: I do have a cat which may necessitate a tank cover and I plan to place it in my living room on dark-colored hard wood floors. Also, should I change the dedicated outlet where I intend to place it into a GFCI?

As far as a tank cover watch the BRS videos on the Red Sea DIY cover. They seem to be very well recommended. A general consensus is to have the tank on its own circuit and a GFCI with battery backup power.

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cool. What kind of fish? Which are your favorites? Tangs? Clowns? Angels dwarf or full size? Wrasses?

how much space do you have.

how much time do you want to spend taking care of the tank per day per week per month?

OP
OP
M

MissingYuengling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might sound weird, but I am less interested in the different types of fish (at least right now) and more interested in corals and invertebrates. I will see how long that lasts.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might sound weird, but I am less interested in the different types of fish (at least right now) and more interested in corals and invertebrates. I will see how long that lasts.
Thats how I am. For the most part my fish all perform a job that helps my corals. Most are pest or algae eaters.
Cheers! Mark

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard about small red sea failures, the 750 yes but not any others.
If cash is not an option check out ELOS tanks or check you local reef shop. Water box was on my list but were out of stock
So I went with a Redsea, I bought an AIO-40 then 75 now I have the 425. There is a lesson in there somewhere, best of luck

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I have an AIO and have used both I would never go back to a sump. Only two downsides to a AIO is it is slightly less total water volume then a sump and u cant have a refugium but those r probably the only two small downsides of a AIO. So much more simple.
This.

I don't think I'll ever put a sump on another tank unless I'm at 400+ gallons and the sump is remote.

I have a small fuge with a submersible LED light in one of the rear sections of my IM tank.

OP
OP
M

MissingYuengling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This.

I don't think I'll ever put a sump on another tank unless I'm at 400+ gallons and the sump is remote.

I have a small fuge with a submersible LED light in one of the rear sections of my IM tank.

For AIO systems without a sump, can you still achieve a lowEr maintenance status? What could replace something like a filter roller in an AIO?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back