Best bang for the buck FISH? It's an all around great fish for the money!

Do you have ONE FISH that excels in all these attributes? Health, looks, temperament & activity.

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 190 83.3%
  • NO

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd nominate either the Bangaii Cardinalfish or the Royal Gramma. Both good eaters (and enjoy feasting on pods on the glass), extremely peaceful, almost always out in the open, and beautiful coloration. The only exception would be if one tried multiple Cardinalfish in a small space. But otherwise, they're great!

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May seem a silly answer, but If you can manage to get them without uronemia, a group of standard issue $2 green chromis are still one of my absolute favorite must-have fish. Especially if you can manage a decent sized shoal of them. Not much utility in them but they’re fun to watch
Where on earth can you get them for $2? I purchased 3 and paid $11 each which is the cheapest I found without having to order them online and pay $30 in shipping. I too love the green chromis.

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to being healthy, nice looking, good tempered, and an asset to the overall vision of your saltwater reef aquarium, which fish is the best bang for the buck? Let's talk about it!

Please consider the health, looks, temperament and activity.

Which fish do you think is the "best bang for the buck" fish?

image via @bubbaque
DSC_0009.jpg
I am going to have to go with Clowns, they still are inexpensive and great in the reef aquarium.

VegasReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure the cost of the fish = best bang for your buck.... for me a $10 fish that's boring is more expensive than a $50 fish that keeps the family entertained.
For an overall genus, I think gobies (safe for reef) should be at the top of the list. Probably choosing the mandarins as my pick because of the wide availability and captive breeding.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say a yellow Foxface, but the prices have skyrocketed on them this year. I bought mine a few years ago for a very reasonable $40 or so, and he's doubled in size in that time. Gets along with everyone, picks at the rocks constantly, and adds a nice splash of color to the tank. But I've seen them for as much as 3x - 4x these days.

kzitzman1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEON GOBY!!!! Lil' fish, big personality. Costs like 10 bucks. It'll always be the first to "inspect" your hand when it goes in the tank and keep everyone nice and clean. They also love to "CHILL" on rock work - one thing I would say is though, they are small. Great nano tank fish, maybe gets lost in the shuffle in bigger tanks.
Totally agree. We considered the green or yellow (citron) neon goby and got the citron and love it's personality. It is small and loves to nestle into one of our mushrooms. At feeding time it will grab a piece of food and go back to it's spot and enjoy. Very friendly with other fish and us.

kzitzman1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Clown Goby. No matter how large or stunning my larger fish (triggers/tangs/angels) might be, visitors to my large tank would always notice the wee little YCG sitting front and center.
We have the exact same feeling with our Citron Clown Goby! Great personality and so fun to watch.

TanksJB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By far it is a fire fish goby. They are inexpensive and available. Don't buy one but get at least 3. They are always out and shoal together.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By far it is a fire fish goby. They are inexpensive and available. Don't buy one but get at least 3. They are always out and shoal together.
I would absolutely agree Ariat I have 2 Purple Firefish Gobies. One is larger than the other & they stick together like twins

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperband Butterfly. Looks great, gets along with everyone and completely wiped out all aptasia in my tank(and there was a lot) It is literally nowhere to be found anymore!! Of course I got lucky. Happened to be in my LFS and saw him. Asked them to feed him and he readily took frozen brine. So i have never had a problem getting him to eat, which can sometimes be a real challenge I hear.

Back