Best bang for the buck FISH? It's an all around great fish for the money!

Do you have ONE FISH that excels in all these attributes? Health, looks, temperament & activity.

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 190 83.3%
  • NO

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the more peaceful blue damsels, springer, azure, yellowtail are a great splash of hardy color at a cheap price. Utilitarian bang for the buck is a tie between yellow wrasse, white belly wrasse, and scopas tang.

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best fish is a majestic angel named Mystic. It's gorgeous, costantly patrolling the tank as enforcer/peacekeeper, a model reef citizen (no nipping polyps), and it always follows me around the tank if I'm doing anything except vacuuming the sand.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canary wrasse all the way I see them for as low as &20-$30 amazing color always moving around picking at things
30CF6989-ECDA-4984-B00D-952EC5F10CA1.png
I've never seen one of these at my lfs. I'm going to look around online. I really like that for $30

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m partial to Tail Spot Blennies, Striped Blennies, Royal Grammas, and chalk bass. All are very active, peaceful, and inquisitive fish for me.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
May seem a silly answer, but If you can manage to get them without uronemia, a group of standard issue $2 green chromis are still one of my absolute favorite must-have fish. Especially if you can manage a decent sized shoal of them. Not much utility in them but they’re fun to watch
Where in the world does one get $2 chromis? Cheapest I see around are $10.

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tail damselfish. Beautiful, always out, peaceful, hardy, and downright cheap.
is it really peaceful? i'm finishing a fallow period ( lost my 2 first ever saltwaterfish due to brook..) and i have a dino outbreak, i need a hardy fish and i thought about getting a damsel. If its not too much to ask, what size is your tank and what fish do you have with the damsel. Thanks from a newbie!!

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ruby red dragonet would float around the tank while sleeping. The first time I saw this I thought it was dead. Then I realized that it was sleeping. This had gone on for two months and then two days ago when I checked it out in the morning the poor guy was stuck in the wave maker intake. Bummer!

Grsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For me it's my melanurus wrasse. It is one of my favorite looking fish in the hobby and it only cost me $30, which compared to most other fish is a good price. I will have one in any tank that is big enough to keep one. They're always out swimming around the rocks hunting and mine doesn't bother anything else.

Plus they're utilitarian because they will eat some pests.
I agree. I was going to say the same fish

Saltysocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to say yes but lately my female clown (who is great loves her nem and actually keeps me safe when my hand is in the tank! Lol) but she's become a pita to feed. She munches on pods in the morning. But she subsequently stopped eating tdo chroma boost pellets and pe mysis at the same time. I did feed those 2 religiously for a little over a year though. Anyone ever experienced that? I've since switched to Sera Marin gvg mix flakes and ocean nutrition for the frozen and she's been loving both

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said yes but my fish isnt exotic or super cool, Although his personality is awesome.He is our nemo( clownfish) and he has been indestructable , healthy and a blast. Thanks Nem!!!

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say Yellow tang. PRE Hawaii ban...

I have had 3 over the years both very hardy and active. super vibrant, its unfortunate I had to give my first one up due to deploying but since then my current one is 3 and doing awesome and is still by far my favorite fish.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back