Best Battery Backups: What's your opinion on the BBB?

Do you have backup power for your aquarium?

• Yes, Generator

Votes: 223 37.5%
  • Yes, Battery

Votes: 155 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 190 32.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 26 4.4%

• Total voters

Operation Philo Beddoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I buy one of these?
Colbalt Aquatics, Rescue Air. 72hr. You can detach part of the battery, and charge it from any USB port, then carry back to supplement the main internal battery. I have used mine often, it’s solid. Even has a mode that runs it 50% of the time to extend battery. 5 sec on 5 off or something like that.

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use APC Backup UPS to keep the tanks running until I get the generator on line. I get them rated for at least 30 Min at full tilt per tank. I then plug the APC UPS into the generator to allow for fueling the generator without the tank systems going down. I have run the generator for a week with no issues other than having to put in fuel. BTW the generator ran my Flex-6600 (100 watt) Ham Radio, also. It is a 3KW inverting generator. (ARS N7VR)

stevellem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GENERATORS ARE KING but if you don't have one or can't have one then a battery backup is the next best thing.

It's always a good time to have a battery backup for your aquarium that could run a few key pieces of equipment during a power outage but which ones are the best?

Power outages are going to happen, and unless you have a generator as a backup, the next best thing is a battery backup for your pumps and powerheads. In just a little time without power dissolved oxygen levels start to deplete, which can result in livestock loss. Keeping water moving and encouraging gas exchange at the surface of the aquarium, you can buy yourself valuable time while waiting for restoration of power. But which batter backup are best and which one should you have for your pumps? Let's discuss it today by polling the community!

1. What is the BEST battery back up to have for your aquarium?

2. Do you have a battery backup just in case you lose power and what brand and model is it?

EcoTech-Marine-Vortech-Battery-Backup-99.jpg
Check out Samlex DC-AC power sine wave inverter with a Marine battery. Will switch on automatically when power goes off and ran my Apex, return pump and heater and chiller for 5-6 hours.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check out Samlex DC-AC power sine wave inverter with a Marine battery. Will switch on automatically when power goes off and ran my Apex, return pump and heater and chiller for 5-6 hours.
I meant to say - each time there has been a power issue - its been we were not home - so (IMO) - and yes can be expensive depending on how you go - but - having the automatic on/off feature is key - no matter what method you choose to do. Maybe we just have bad luck - but it always happens on vacation.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to say - each time there has been a power issue - its been we were not home - so (IMO) - and yes can be expensive depending on how you go - but - having the automatic on/off feature is key - no matter what method you choose to do. Maybe we just have bad luck - but it always happens on vacation.

+1 RE: on vacation/traveling - another issue in our part of the country - heavy snow storms that bring down power lines.

My old UPS' worked "ok" for the short periods but as temps dropped, heaters drew more power and ran longer - so I bought the Generac - end of stress and worries, and it was a fraction of what I have invested. Plus it adds to the value of the house.

GMF21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how does everyone monitor the health of their backup battery so they know when it needs to be replaced?

fyi, I use the ice Cap battery backup.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all transparency to our members, R2R needs to create a Sticky Thread that includes items to AVOID buying used. The first post should be for used back-up batteries (like Ecotech and IceCap) where the seller is unable to provide information as to the age of the battery, because they need to be replaced after 2 or 3 years. Caveat emptor.

(The second post needs to be for aquarium heaters. All of them have a limited lifespan, and even new ones need to be replaced every two years. Check out BRS TV's heater posts on You Tube. Caveat emptor.)

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
how does everyone monitor the health of their backup battery so they know when it needs to be replaced?

fyi, I use the ice Cap battery backup.
2-3 years is useful life.

I post stickers when I change batteries showing when I need to replace them again. After 3 years most SLAs will just not have the capacity when you need it.

Doreno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One significant issue with a lead acid battery backup is that they goes bad within ~3 years. Then it is just a false sense of security, as it can last <1 hour. Happened to me once on a used Ecotech backup, and then again with one I bought new after roughly 3 years .

Had a hurricane kill power, and the MP40wQD had under an hour of run time.... yikes. Now I put voltage meters on them, so I can gauge battery health pretty easily. Then one can replace the internal battery for $40!

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 10.29.07 AM.png
What kind of device is it - does it show the battery charge? Where can I buy it and how do I use it?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a semi DIY bbu system... Tunze safety switch, Tunze 6040 pump and an Amazon SLA battery with a $20 Amazon battery maintainer... the battery maintainer is plugged into a controlled Apex outlet, and only powered up 6 hours a week.

Battery will run the pump for > 24 hours. Battery is nearing 3 years old now... still works fine. I manually unplug the Tunze pump once every quarter to test the battery, run it on battery for 6 hours or so. No troubles so far.

Gas generator is my backup... power outage over a few hours, and I drag it out. Only thing I run on it is the main return pump and the heater (if it's cold out). Genny also runs my backup heat source, a pellet stove, along with fridges, freezer, lights... whatever is necessary. Last long power outage we had, my 6 year old grandson was staying over. We powered up a TV and a DVD player and dug up a couple of kids DVD's. Helped keep him calm through the storm.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of device is it - does it show the battery charge? Where can I buy it and how do I use it?

I make them. Yes, it is a voltage meter that plugs into the battery and shows its charge.

Back