Best Battery Backups: What's your opinion on the BBB?

Do you have backup power for your aquarium?

• Yes, Generator

Votes: 223 37.5%
  • Yes, Battery

Votes: 155 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 190 32.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 26 4.4%

• Total voters

thermoJoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both. A DIY SLA battery for ecotech pumps and a generator for longer power outages. Here on the NE coast, we typically lose power each year for 2-3 days, sometimes longer. I use a 2000 W yamaha generator for those outages. An important point to consider is also how much gas do you have on hand. When an area loses power, you will likely not be able to get gas, and roads can get blocked as well, so I also have three 5 gal gas tanks that I fill up, especially when powerful storms are coming. Having a small generator also helps to conserve gas.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both. I have a battery backup and a generator (small) for when the battery starts to run out. When I fire up the generator I also charge the battery backup.

have a nano and running an echo tech (what I have) at 50% would litterally push the water out of my 4.5 gallon display... So using the ecotech battery is not an option. Thus, I have to use a UPS battery which only gives me 8 hrs of battery.
You can set what speed your pumps run @ during an outage - 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50. They aren't fixed @ 50%, but rather come from the factory set @ 20%

Section 4.5 page 29. Page 28 shows how to enter the programming.

KWT

Keep on keepin on
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both gen and batt. Gas generator Honda EU2000i and a goal zero 1200 , can be charges with solar panel or plug into a/c. 2 battery back ups are TripLite 1500a with 8 batt outlets each. Should give me enough time to get either or both gens in place

Tracy Schultz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GENERATORS ARE KING but if you don't have one or can't have one then a battery backup is the next best thing.

It's always a good time to have a battery backup for your aquarium that could run a few key pieces of equipment during a power outage but which ones are the best?

Power outages are going to happen, and unless you have a generator as a backup, the next best thing is a battery backup for your pumps and powerheads. In just a little time without power dissolved oxygen levels start to deplete, which can result in livestock loss. Keeping water moving and encouraging gas exchange at the surface of the aquarium, you can buy yourself valuable time while waiting for restoration of power. But which batter backup are best and which one should you have for your pumps? Let's discuss it today by polling the community!

1. What is the BEST battery back up to have for your aquarium?

2. Do you have a battery backup just in case you lose power and what brand and model is it?

EcoTech-Marine-Vortech-Battery-Backup-99.jpg
Yes, I have a Vortech Battery backup on my reef setup and it works great. I wouldn’t be without it.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Computer ups with two 600ah batteries.
And a 7500 watt generator. Apex turns nonessentials off, and circulation pumps to low power usage. Not sure how long the ups can run my tank, but it has already worked for 4 hours while at work.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeap I am a bother here as well. All my tanks have battery backups and I have an inverter style generator. Three 12 hour blackouts in one year and none of the other neighbor's tract had one blackout Yeah we are special.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large generator. Can keep my entire home going. I have been in a few outages. One lasted a couple of weeks. I also have 32 solar panels. I am not wealthy. I just like to be warm in the winter. So while some of my neighbors bought new vehicles or whatever they were interested in I covered my garage in solar panels in 2 years. We were without power all day last Tuesday. Well the neighbors were........

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One significant issue with a lead acid battery backup is that they goes bad within ~3 years. Then it is just a false sense of security, as it can last <1 hour. Happened to me once on a used Ecotech backup, and then again with one I bought new after roughly 3 years .

Had a hurricane kill power, and the MP40wQD had under an hour of run time.... yikes. Now I put voltage meters on them, so I can gauge battery health pretty easily. Then one can replace the internal battery for $40!

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 10.29.07 AM.png

It makes me happy whenever I see that voltage meter.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the Generac that's tied into the house, We didn't install it for the tank specifically mostly to run the fridge, and downstairs HVAC where the master bedroom is. it's great to it ties into the natural gas line so we don't have to worry about keeping it full or running out of fuel for it. I don't even have to worry about it. power goes out. The generator kicks on automatically within a few secs.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fortunate, my husband gets battery backups from work for free when they have a surplus. I have my return pump and heater on a large battery backup that will run for 4 hours and kicks in without interruption when the power goes out. I also have two that run for two hours each that are always charged that I can in the event of a long power outage. The power hasn't gone out for more than a couple hours so far. 8 hours is enough time to figure something out if a catastrophe happens.

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hooked up my reefwave 25 and the return pump on my Cube 20 to an APC battery backup incase of a power outage. Hopefully, it will last long enough until the power comes back on if it ever goes out.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small portable generator that gets two dc pumps and an air pump plugged in, it cost less than the livestock I lost to a 14 hour outage.

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will have a battery set up on my Tunze pumps before snow season here in New England.

Planning to buy a 1000W inverter I can hook up directly to our "mobile storage shed" (an old honda odyssey) that should be able to act as a generator for longer outages that will impact tank temp.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After 2 power losses (unexpected - due to some error at the power station - or a car hitting a pole) - resulting in thousands of dollars of losses - coral, fish, time, effort. I got a generator. I got one that automatically turns on when the power goes off - powered by natural gas.

If I was going to do a battery - I would buy a solar panel - put it where its sunny - that would keep a large battery (like a Tesla battery) charged - and hook up the tank and some other essential things (refrigerator, freezer). Both options cost a lot - but if you consider the amount spent on corals - fish, etc - I would never go back

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • None.

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.9%
Back