Best Beginner Aquarium

Colin_1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm new to saltwater. I've had a lot of freshwater tanks but never a saltwater. I was thinking about getting a tank, nothing bigger than 45 gallons or so. I just want a pair of clownfish, some corals, and maybe a hawkfish or coral beauty. Anyone have any good tanks that aren't too expensive?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
AIO (ALL IN ONE) SYSTEMS ARE IDEAL AS THEY CONTAIN BOTH THE TANK AND FILTRATION WITHOUT NEED FOR PLUMBING AND SUMP APPLICATION.
Innovative marine is one of the most popular systems in all sizes in the industry

welcome58.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You could always snag a 40 breeder from petco during the dollar per gallon sale.

I would also checkout the BRS youtube channel they have a bunch of videos on setting up a reef tank.
Although a great suggestion, the problem with these tanks are by the time you purchase Hang on back components to make it complete, for the cost, you might as well have purchased an AIO system

NVS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure that's really the case. Even a high end overflow isn't going to run more than $200. The drill bits are $5-10. And the tank is $50. A similarly sized tank is more than double that. Triple if you want the stand too which would only cost you another $75 if you purchased one at Petco.

And that's assuming you even want to drill it. A 40g is still in that range where you could go either way; sump or hob imo.

If it were me, and knowing I'd already be planning an expansion before my rock even finished curing, I'd honestly shoot for a 40g or even a Zoo Med Low Boy. Probably look for a HOB skimmer or if you're comfortable drilling, go ahead and drill it with a 20g sump. Then once you do eventually expand (because trust me, you'll be wanting to within a year max), the tank can be set up on the side someplace and be turned into a frag tank or even a dedicated BTA tank a year later or so.

Edp251

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Welcome to R2R! I am pretty new to this myself and I started with an all-in-one and am glad I did. There is so much to learn in this hobby that AIO tanks allow noobs like me to focus on learning care and husbandry without having to make too many equipment decisions up front. Only other advice is that you do get what you pay for but lots of good options at most middle of the road price points. Best of luck!

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do get an AIO tank just check to make sure your hands fit in the chambers. I can barely get my hands in my BioCube16 chambers. Makes small adjustments hard for me so I find a trusted student with small hands. Haha.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks are like pants. Always best to go one size bigger than u want! :cool:

Depends really on what you think you'll do in the future. If u expect it's likely you will eventually go bigger, it makes sense to think in terms of a 60/90g cube or a 3' tank... something just large enough that most of your equipment would suffice for your eventual upgrade. One more light instead of a whole new lighting system, etc., etc.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R !!! An AIO tank will be great for a beginner but if you get addicted to the reef (that 99.9 % you will), I recommend you get a 75g from the beginning and avoid upgrading later. That's my case right now. :)

Bulletsponge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cant suggest Innovative Marine tanks enough. I have the 25 Lagoon and love it. Surprisingly good options for equipment so you can be more on the budget end or high end. Like said above though, hands don't fit well. Definitely purchase some long tongs with one

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40g breeder

Drill it and use a 20 long for the sump. Buy the sump baffle kit on Ebay and silicone them in place. Super easy.

You can buy bulkheads at flexpvc.com
Hole saws at richontools.com

I never wanted an AIO due to the limited space. I have huge hands and there's no way to get my hands into the back chambers. A custom built 40g breeder with a sump is going to be waaaay easier to maintain over the long haul.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on Craigslist. I got my 75 gallon tank, stand, overflow, some dosing pumps and a full buckey of Red Sea Pro salt for $150. There are good deals out there from people getting out of fish keeping, moving, or upgrading.

reefs4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I 100% agree with some other members here that a reef-ready 75 gallon tank is the absolute best beginner tank. It's not too small where little changes hurt so much but it's not big to the point that it's extra inconvenient maintenance. The 4' length allows you to keep some nice size fish too. To this day I think that was the most conveniently sized tank I've had in my 15 years in the hobby.

champagnereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% agree with some other members here that a reef-ready 75 gallon tank is the absolute best beginner tank. It's not too small where little changes hurt so much but it's not big to the point that it's extra inconvenient maintenance. The 4' length allows you to keep some nice size fish too. To this day I think that was the most conveniently sized tank I've had in my 15 years in the hobby.

Thanks for your suggestions I have also thought about it for a long time

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well best starter tank depends on ones goals, desires, capacity, space, funds and so on. So there is not one best tank.

Be aware, the ocean is a really stable system. So ocean critters love, love, love stability. For this reason, most people are more successful with larger tanks that are easier to keep stable. Going with this thought, 75, 90 or 120 gallon tanks fit this well.

Another thing about the ocean is it is really, really big. Even small fish demand quite a bit of space. I am a scuba diver. I know of a clump of staghorn coral that was home to a 4” damsel fish called Sid Viscious. Sid attacked any diver who got within 3’ of the coral. So little Sid demanded about a 2000 gallon volume.

I would also recommend that you think of getting a sump in your system. Sumps make life much easier and tidier. And you always wish that yours was bigger.

All this being said, my first marine aquarium was a 20 gallon high with a tiny damsel fish and 2 yellow headed jawfish and it worked just fine. The jawfish were hilarious.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on your budget. AIO will come with everything including light usually and will look much cleaner. However, if you want to start on a tight budget then add equip as you go a Petco 40b is a good choice.

I'd try to find a used aio around you. Used not abused there's a difference

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 166 61.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.1%
Back