Best BUDGET but ACCURATE Test Kits

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a refractometer or the Hanna salinity checker, a hydrometer, no matter the manufacturer, just isn’t as accurate. For a fish only aquarium, a hydrometer is okay, but for a reef tank you really need something more precise (and a good refractometer is only maybe $10 more than a good hydrometer). If you do get a refractometer or the Hanna checker, make sure to get calibration fluid as well.
minireef isnt talking about a swing arm hydrometer, the tropic marin drop in hydrometer is good, you do need a large graduated cylinder, glass, or bucket to use it though as you cant read it in the tank with water flow

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
minireef isnt talking about a swing arm hydrometer, the tropic marin drop in hydrometer is good, you do need a large graduated cylinder, glass, or bucket to use it though as you cant read it in the tank with water flow
@MaxTremors yeah it’s not one of the swing arms and it’s supposed to be super accurate. Still definitely going to look around for others.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MaxTremors yeah it’s not one of the swing arms and it’s supposed to be super accurate. Still definitely going to look around for others.
You have researched well, the Tropic Marin are extremely accurate, just make sure to pick up a 500ml measuring cylinder too.
The cylinder isn't needed but it saves turning off the flow of the tank and also breaking the hydrometer on a rock etc or side of the tank.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not about.price. its about usability and it being user.friendly. elos are great and ive done a lot of teating with their kits. I will not venture from saliferts. Same results with less headache.
My .02
D

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I haven’t seen one of those glass thermometer/bobber style hydrometers in probably 20 years. But, yes you’re right, they are accurate.

ericb007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the hanna checker for alk. Don’t even waste your time on anything else.

I just started a tank after years out of the hobby. I don’t need to check alk yet. Tank too new. Just wanted to try. The test is sooooo easy. If they made the rest of them this east i’d buy them all.

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Salifert tests where the determination point is based on a color change. I regularly use the Ca and Mg with Salifert.
For the tests where you have to determine a shade of color, I have come more and more to rely on the Hanna tests, as my judgements regarding the shade of color can be inconsistent. I have found it is worth the higher cost to get an objective determination of the color shade. Plus, the difference in total cost over time is not as much as you might think, even with the higher initial investment.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF you can determine the Salifert alkalinity test with its pink shades then OK.
I found it very difficult.
NYOS, with the yellow coloring is so much easier for me.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF you can determine the Salifert alkalinity test with its pink shades then OK.
I found it very difficult.
NYOS, with the yellow coloring is so much easier for me.
There is a good thread on this were a test was carried out regarding what colour to look for, the salifert instructions show a bright pink but apparently it’s the violet (could be wrong on violet) which is the correct end point, i find the aqu forest slightly easier, that kit has a calibration solution in it so you can run that first see what colour you need to look for then it becomes a lot clearer, either way as long as you stop at the same colour each test it’ll be a constant reading which is the main thing.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a link???

give me 2 mins I'll see if I can find it...found it.

Ashibashi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Here are my updated ideas for what I'm going to get:
Phosphate: Hanna Phosphate ULR
Nitrate: Salifert
Alkalinity/Calcium/Magnesium: I'm really torn between these three. The combo pack is such a great deal but BRS seemed to dislike the alkalinity test it a little. I may get that combo pack because it's such a great deal and if it's worth a little more of my time for testing, so be it. If not, I'll probably get Salifert for Alkalinity, and I'm still unsure for Calcium and Magnesium. I will probably get the pack though.
pH: Not worrying too much about it for now.
Tell me what yall think
Going to copy this for my build. Thanks, great thread!

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get an upgrade from my API test kits. Test kits I want to upgrade are Calcium, Alkalinity, Nitrate, pH, and phosphate. I'd prefer to have test kits in the less than $30 range. Here are some that I have picked out and some I'm still unsure about
Calcium: Salifert
Alkalinity: Heard great things about Hanna, but it's a little out of my budget. I may get it though
Nitrate: Salifert
pH: Probably a digital meter on amazon but still unsure
Phosphate: (same with Alk; I would get the ULR if I got a Hanna)

Thanks.
From my experience (and I’m just a little under two years into the hobby) I also at first tried doing on a budget but in the long run using api test kits for example as I did as well will just cost you more money time and frustration in the end and you’ll end up buying the better/more expensive test kits/checkers. Me I wish I’d of just chinged up and bought all Hanna checkers from the start or if could afford it the apex and trident set up that’s the best of the best IMO. I think some Salifert test kits are really good as well but for me Hanna checkers are best. No color charts to try and get into perfect lighting to try to match up to closest color no swirling for x amount of seconds, no setting timers either.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back