Best bulk nori to buy?

AlgaeBarn

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The title says it all. For those who buy your nori in bulk online, send me a link to your preference. I want to have a big supply on hand.

RAP

DrZoidburg

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I use yaki sushi nori roasted laver. The exact one doesn't come up searching. 100's of them come up. Ridiculous deal for 14$ at the time for 2 packs of 100 full sheets. Just make sure its not any special seasoned kind.

OP
S

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Okay cool, I think I was worried about the convenience of, for example, Ocean Nutrition Nori having the already added garlic to it. How much of a difference do you think this makes for our fish's health?

Jay Hemdal

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I use yaki sushi nori roasted laver. The exact one doesn't come up searching. 100's of them come up. Ridiculous deal for 14$ at the time for 2 packs of 100 full sheets. Just make sure its not any special seasoned kind.
Are you worried that the roasting process removes nutrients? I always source air dried, but it is more expensive.
Jay

BRS

DrZoidburg

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Are you worried that the roasting process removes nutrients? I always source air dried, but it is more expensive.
Jay
The one I have I think is just infrared roasted to dryness. Not like oven or pan roasted. Also it specifically said when I got it that this brand had no sesame oil or seasonings. This brand claims it is nearly still 50% protein per serving. I feed mysis, and calanus as well in one day.

Jay Hemdal

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The one I have I think is just infrared roasted to dryness. Not like oven or pan roasted. Also it specifically said when I got it that this brand had no sesame oil or seasonings. This brand claims it is nearly still 50% protein per serving. I feed mysis, and calanus as well in one day.
I worry about the vitamin C, it is very heat liable. Roasting will deactivate vitamin C (above 170 degrees or something like that). Drying may also remove some vit C as well though. And then, there is the question, can fish synthesize vit C? If so, then this is a moot point.

Jay

DrZoidburg

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I worry about the vitamin C, it is very heat liable. Roasting will deactivate vitamin C (above 170 degrees or something like that). Drying may also remove some vit C as well though. And then, there is the question, can fish synthesize vit C? If so, then this is a moot point.

Jay
Pretty interesting thought. I know humans can't. Package says 2% of daily. Maybe exponential amount of what a fish needs. I don't know that either. Looking up on google. It says some ray finned fish have that ability.
Edit: However that no teleost can so I don't know if tangs can in that case.

Last edited:

DrZoidburg

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Also I don't know what temp they cook it at to dry it. Vitamin C has a pretty high melting point. Decomposition staring around 370F. I would be more concerned about it degrading to oxygen. Even oxidized it still has some bioactivity.

OP
S

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hey guys sorry I didn't respond to the new posts yet. Thanks for the input. I looked at the one listed two posts above but when looking into this I seen on the post to stay away from kelp based seaweed sheets.

Any other links to ones on amazon that are worth ordering?

DrZoidburg

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
You would want a nori that specifically says pyropia species algae in it. Possibly "aonori" you could also look into. Basically a green algae version. Which would have ulva, or monostroma species in it.

Reef Chasers Aquaculture
AlgaeBarn

DO YOU CARE WHAT THE CORDS AND CABLES LOOK LIKE AROUND YOUR REEF TANK?

• YES

Votes: 292 58.9%
  • NO

Votes: 36 7.3%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 162 32.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.2%
TCK Corals