Best bulk nori to buy?

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title says it all. For those who buy your nori in bulk online, send me a link to your preference. I want to have a big supply on hand.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use yaki sushi nori roasted laver. The exact one doesn't come up searching. 100's of them come up. Ridiculous deal for 14$ at the time for 2 packs of 100 full sheets. Just make sure its not any special seasoned kind.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay cool, I think I was worried about the convenience of, for example, Ocean Nutrition Nori having the already added garlic to it. How much of a difference do you think this makes for our fish's health?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use yaki sushi nori roasted laver. The exact one doesn't come up searching. 100's of them come up. Ridiculous deal for 14$ at the time for 2 packs of 100 full sheets. Just make sure its not any special seasoned kind.
Are you worried that the roasting process removes nutrients? I always source air dried, but it is more expensive.
Jay

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you worried that the roasting process removes nutrients? I always source air dried, but it is more expensive.
Jay
The one I have I think is just infrared roasted to dryness. Not like oven or pan roasted. Also it specifically said when I got it that this brand had no sesame oil or seasonings. This brand claims it is nearly still 50% protein per serving. I feed mysis, and calanus as well in one day.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I have I think is just infrared roasted to dryness. Not like oven or pan roasted. Also it specifically said when I got it that this brand had no sesame oil or seasonings. This brand claims it is nearly still 50% protein per serving. I feed mysis, and calanus as well in one day.
I worry about the vitamin C, it is very heat liable. Roasting will deactivate vitamin C (above 170 degrees or something like that). Drying may also remove some vit C as well though. And then, there is the question, can fish synthesize vit C? If so, then this is a moot point.

Jay

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worry about the vitamin C, it is very heat liable. Roasting will deactivate vitamin C (above 170 degrees or something like that). Drying may also remove some vit C as well though. And then, there is the question, can fish synthesize vit C? If so, then this is a moot point.

Jay
Pretty interesting thought. I know humans can't. Package says 2% of daily. Maybe exponential amount of what a fish needs. I don't know that either. Looking up on google. It says some ray finned fish have that ability.
Edit: However that no teleost can so I don't know if tangs can in that case.

Last edited:

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I don't know what temp they cook it at to dry it. Vitamin C has a pretty high melting point. Decomposition staring around 370F. I would be more concerned about it degrading to oxygen. Even oxidized it still has some bioactivity.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, prices are at least $7.50/oz (in equivalent terms) on Amazon Canada. We are well and truly getting ripped off on that site.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys sorry I didn't respond to the new posts yet. Thanks for the input. I looked at the one listed two posts above but when looking into this I seen on the post to stay away from kelp based seaweed sheets.

Any other links to ones on amazon that are worth ordering?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would want a nori that specifically says pyropia species algae in it. Possibly "aonori" you could also look into. Basically a green algae version. Which would have ulva, or monostroma species in it.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went with ONE ORGANIC nori that you buy on amazon after seeing it linked in the description of a Tidal Gardens video. My fish love it! Just in case anyone wants to know or try it.

Back