Best calcium test kits for colorblind individuals

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check this thread.
@PapaElf demonstrates using a smartphone color app to pinpoint the endpoint to the common tests.
That particular app and colorspace that the OP uses handles shade/glare pretty well. It'll be more consistent than normal eyeballs.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem is the Hanna Calcium checker sucks and is incredibly inconsistent. In fact, all Hanna checkers generally suck because of their reagent inconsistencies, but that is just my experience.

Salifert is probably the best Calcium test kit, but hard to tell color change, so I have settled for the RedSea instead.

I have had good luck with their phpsphate ulr and alk before with consistent results.

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm colorblind (quite severely) and I've tried a lot of test kits. Elos, Salifert and Aquaforest all sucked for my eyes. Right now I'm using the Red Sea Calcium test. I find it's more neon than others and a bit easier to read. Two tricks I use though:

-Always do it in the day under sunlight or near a window
-Hold it above a piece of white paper and look at the shadow. It helps a ton when trying to determine if it's still purple or if it's gone blue.

I also find that when it's blue, it almost takes on a slightly grey quality. Once you get used to seeing it, it'll help you pick the endpoint you want and at least you can be consistent.

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say meticulous methods, what steps do you take?
1. Clean vials.
2. Pre-prepair packet. Clean the creases out with a part of the cutoff. This allows you to to get most all the reagent out of the packet.
3. Use the same point on the syringe each time.
4. Use distilled water.
5. Take the sample of tank water with their pipette. (this made it so much easier than a syringe, so glad they added it to the test.)
6. After mixing make sure there are no bubbles on the glass.
7. Do it the same way every time.

Other than the distilled water and the pipette I use pretty much the same procedure for the PO4 test. Don't rush it and have a stable working area and the results are repeatable.

With all the tests I do I'm usually within each tests margin of error when I send off ICP tests.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost no one is completely colorblind. I have the typical male colorblindness and I can use the Red Sea test without issue. The test turn blue when fully titrated.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 75 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back