Best cement for larger rocks?

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a product called Stone Fix. Stone Fix is a product designed for reef tanks that is a hydraulic cement. I have used it in the past and it work very well:) I even used it wet in the system to secure a rock that kept breaking lose.
Where do you get it, and does not cause or alter the system?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Gregg @ ADP

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read about a number of people having issues with the hydraulic cement weakening over time. Has anybody here experienced this?

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Marco Rocks E400 Cement (hydraulic cement) and it has held fantastically. Almost too well, as I had to take my tank down to move, and had the entire 6 foot structure held together. I had to physically break it into 4 sections to get it out of the tank after a full year in the tank.

Randy the reef guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emarco 400 works great. It has acrylic mixed into it so the cement doesn't erode in the salt water. If you can prop your rock and let it cure for 24 hours it is stronger than the rock itself. I used 3 buckets on the rock work for my 250. Mix small batches and work on a section and let it cure before moving on.
20181220_082336.jpeg
20181218_220552.jpeg
20181217_202143.jpeg

jeffberens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used hydraulic cement on my aquascape just over 2 years ago and is seemed great, but I recently had to scrub my rocks with a toothbrush to remove some algae and the cement just began to crumble and the joints between most of my rocks that I touched failed completely. I luckily didn't touch my other large structure, but I'm sure that is just as unstable at this point. I'll have to figure out how to epoxy things back together at this point.

OP
OP
Gregg @ ADP

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used hydraulic cement on my aquascape just over 2 years ago and is seemed great, but I recently had to scrub my rocks with a toothbrush to remove some algae and the cement just began to crumble and the joints between most of my rocks that I touched failed completely. I luckily didn't touch my other large structure, but I'm sure that is just as unstable at this point. I'll have to figure out how to epoxy things back together at this point.
The verdict for me is similar.

I built a wall using the hydraulic cement that is really solid, but several of the big pieces I cemented together didn’t hold up to well.

This material really seems to be one that works better to supplement some other anchoring. There were parts of the structure where I drilled holes and inserted 1/2” acrylic rods, and then cemented. Those pieces seem fine. But anything where there were 10lb+ pieces and no other anchoring didn’t hold up too well.

One thing I thought about for next time, especially with pieces that have more texture/holes is to mix the cement more the consistency of pudding and letting it seep into the spaces, and then packing some a little thicker over that.

Not totally disappointed, because the stuff was like $12. But definitely needs some extra engineering to hold up long term when dealing with extra weight.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tried the Marco and it works well..
I think it is hydraulic cement with a additive (Acrylic Polymer) to make it stronger.

I think rods or something should be used on any real large rocks just incase. Plus it help hold them in place till the cement dries.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used quikrete hydraulic cement and fiberglass rod with great success. Rod's help keep the structure in place till the cement hardens.

It will set up quickly, so small batches are best. Working time around 5 mins. Let cure overnight.
same, but never tried the scale you're talking about

OP
OP
Gregg @ ADP

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’ve been using Quikrete for the larger structures. Without rods, it just doesn’t hold up well. Even stacking things vertically where there isn’t any kind of crazy weight displacement...if you bump it, the cement just crumbles.

The realization I’ve come to is that rods on their own tend to work just as well, and you have the option of moving/changing rocks as things grow and change.

Rams54

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use JB Water Weld from Home D. If it will stop car or truck engine block leaks, it will hold you're rocks together. I also buy super glue gel at H. Depot., they are cheaper than your lfs. But that's just me, I'm retired and cheap.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back