Best centerpiece fish for custom 125g tank?

What should be a suitable centerpiece fish for a 125?

• Purple Tang

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • Yellow Tang

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • Scopas Tang

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Yellow Pyramid Butterfly

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Lemonpeel Mimic Tang

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Spot Breast Angelfish (Female)

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Watanabei Angelfish (Female)

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Bellus Angelfish (Female)

• Cream Angelfish

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Foxface Lo / One Spot

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Lamarck’s Angelfish (Female)

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Tomini / Kole Tang

• Roaps Butterfly (Burgess, Tinker’s etc.)

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Copperband Butterfly

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • Harlequin Tusk (?)

Votes: 15 13.9%

• Total voters

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me for putting a bit of a dampener on this, I have read many of your posts and answered some. I do know planning your stocking list is the most exciting part of starting a tank, but you need to put the same enthusiasm and drive into the life support system for the animals you plan to keep. This is something many newbies forget which can lead to expensive mistakes and re-thinks. I know I have over the years made some silly errors and should have thought before I spent my money.

You have a blank canvas, no tank, no equipment, no stock- build from the bottom up, explore what equipment is out there, use the expertise on sites like this to advise which kit will be suitable and how you manage your tanks environment.

After all Reefkeepers are just water keepers.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also in your posts you suggest you are tight for space (I'm sorry if I have read it incorrectly) You need to plan, for example, where your QT system will fit if you are having one (if not I could consider giving Tangs a miss). I don't know what the quality of the water is like in HK but will you need an RO system, do you have the space to produce and store the RO. Is your water pressure enough to run a RO without a pressure pump.

I am afraid these questions and many more will need answering before you even get a tank or the life expectancy of your fish will be measured in months not years.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the QT system not entirely sure where I’ll put it, but RO will be hooked to the kitchen sink / drainage as that’s the only place where I can have it.

And for a protein skimmer I’ll be using a Bubble King Eco Max 250, so pretty high end. I’ll have to check the list I’ve made for some of my other equipment, power heads will be using 2 Jebao S40s. Being in China (Guangdong though close to HK) it’s not always the easiest to get high end Western equipment.

The rest of my equipment list is basically locally produced stuff, test kits I will be using Salifert’s products.

Will be looking more into equipment once I go home.

Sigmund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish. Did you have trouble getting it to eat?
This is the 2nd one I have had. First one was confused it seemed to eat out of the water column, but just figured it out after a few days. Got it to eat a few pieces of the substrate first. The one in the pic ate everything from day 1.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RegalAngel2019052301.jpg

recreative

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA shows up to 10" which I feel is pretty big for a 125g but they also show it needs about 100g tank.

Ive had for for a few years, lovely fish. I have a regal, bandit, black tang, white tail . . . Griffis might be my favorite.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do large triggers eat small fish? You've got me interested.
Not really, as long as you feed them well and don't starve them. The smallest fish I currently have is a bicolor blenny and they ignore him. If you were to add a small fish to 1 or a group of triggers I would do it at night after the triggers have been sleeping. Reason being is if you throw a small fish in while they are all awake they will/might think its food and one bite from a trigger can cause some major damage.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What!!!?? I thought Picassos weren't reef safe? What other triggers do you have?
Thats not a Huma its an Assasi. I have 5 total the Assasi, Clown, Blueline, Niger, and a Pink tail. They don't eat the corals and when I put the 1st trigger in there all my hermits became nocturnal, smart little suckers. Just the other night I flashed my flashlights in the tank and visually counted 15 so they are doing fine.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a nice collection of angels you got there. I messaged LiveAquaria about where they get their max sizes from and all they told me was they have their own team of “academic experts” that studies each species in depth.

However general consensus here is that many fish don’t reach their maximum sizes as listed online though not sure what you think. Would appreciate it thanks.

recreative

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a nice collection of angels you got there. I messaged LiveAquaria about where they get their max sizes from and all they told me was they have their own team of “academic experts” that studies each species in depth.

However general consensus here is that many fish don’t reach their maximum sizes as listed online though not sure what you think. Would appreciate it thanks.
Thanks, I love angles . . . smart and beautiful. very interesting fish.

You could try a smaller one 3" and I would bet it would a pretty long time for it to double, let alone triple in size. By then you may be ready to move on to a bigger tank or trade it for another smaller fish of value. good luck with your search!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back