Best coral suited for a nano tank

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment I have 3 mushroom species in my tank (Ric Yuma, Ric Florida and a Blue Disco). I wanted some LPS/SPS eventually but that’s been put back for a while since death has spread through this tank like a wildfire recently (Started with a shrimp and ended with a hammer coral for now). I would love to know what coral you think would do alright in this tank. It’s a 20g tank with 6 fish at the moment (5 will be long term - a black clown goby, yasha goby, lineatus blenny, pink streaked wrasse and a yellow head jawfish). I would love some coral that adds both a natural look and some height since at the moment all the coral is close to the rocks. I’d also love some suggestions for coral that would survive on the sand bed, I don’t really want Zoas/palys or anything too invasive though.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd still recommend Zoa's. You can put them on smallish rocks and they shouldn't spread. If they start to, snip snip.

You can also go with some hardier SPS like plating monti. I will always have some red plating monti in my tanks. One of the first corals I got and, again, very hardy.

For LPS you can go with hammer again for some height and movement. Acan's are also good candidates for the sand bed on small rocks.

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caulrstrea, lobophyllia, and favias are some good lps species that won’t get to invasive. As for SPS I probably would stay away from them in a tank that size because that need a real stable system which is difficult to have in a nano tank. Trust me I have a 30 gallon set up and the last SPS coral I bought bleached not long after buying it.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caulrstrea, lobophyllia, and favias are some good lps species that won’t get to invasive. As for SPS I probably would stay away from them in a tank that size because that need a real stable system which is difficult to have in a nano tank. Trust me I have a 30 gallon set up and the last SPS coral I bought bleached not long after buying it.
Do you dose anything? I use All-for-reef in my 15 gallon and have SPS and they're doing fine. Keeping the ALK up and keeping the tank topped off is really all thats required

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, you can have any coral you want in a 20g if you are willing to trim it regularly.

Favias/favites will need space as they send out tentacles that harm others. So do some lobos, hammers, torches, etc.
SPS will be harder in a small tank, but Pavona, plating montis are on the easy side.

For soft corals, the toadstools are nice. I love them. Most of the sinularia or lobophyllia (finger leathers/devils hand) will grow too fast and bother others. Although a nice neon green sinularia well maintained will behave.

Keep an eye on the jawfish, it may not like the 20g long term and they jump. You probably know that though.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my nano i have firework clove polyps, utter chaos zoas, birdsnest, 3 rock flower anemones, and a hammer. They do great.
I have seen firework Clove polyps and if I can get my hands on a frag it would be great, might have to get one from my LFS at some point.

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dose anything? I use All-for-reef in my 15 gallon and have SPS and they're doing fine. Keeping the ALK up and keeping the tank topped off is really all thats requir
Do you dose anything? I use All-for-reef in my 15 gallon and have SPS and they're doing fine. Keeping the ALK up and keeping the tank topped off is really all thats required
I don’t it’s all in my salt. It did great and was growing like a weed but than all of a sudden it just bleached. It was a rainbow monti. The people at my lfs told me SPS are better off in lager systems.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back