Best coralline algae product? I am looking to dose my aquarium.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now that things have stabilized and all that, I am thinking it's time to try and grow coralline algae.

So, my question is, what products (besides live rock) have you guys had success with? I want something I can dose into the tank to hopefully populate it with some coralline algae.

If you had personal experience with the product, I'd love to hear a bit more about how it worked out for you. And tips or tricks would be appreciated too.

:D

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Purple up

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple tech , Kent marine or use arc reef live coraline algae spores
Kent Marine Purple Tech seems to be just similar to CaribSea Purple Up, i.e. just helping coralline algae grow?

Arc Reef does have two coralline algae products, so that's cool. There's two though, it seems. In your experience which one is better?

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag plug, snails, etc... any of these usually come with coralline if you buy corals or inverts online. No need for bottled stuff.
I never had much luck with the ARC stuff. Waste of money IMHO. It’s like people buying pods. Dang near impossible to keep pods out of your tank if you buy corals. They will make their way in one way or another. No need to buy them.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, all of the bottled coralline algae products are snake oil. So long as you have proper parameters and put something with some living coralline algae on, it will take off in your tank. If you already have something with coralline on it in your tank and its not spreading, your tank is either too new or your parameters are off.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag plug, snails, etc... any of these usually come with coralline if you buy corals or inverts online. No need for bottled stuff.
I never had much luck with the ARC stuff. Waste of money IMHO. It’s like people buying pods. Dang near impossible to keep pods out of your tank if you buy corals. They will make their way in one way or another. No need to buy them.
No thanks, I am not looking for any of those methods. They do not guarantee that I will definitely be able to get coralline algae. Also because I am not looking to introduce anymore inverts into the aquarium. I am looking for a product. If one has tried coralline algae products and it did not work, I'd love to hear about their experience. Otherwise yeah no thanks, not looking for alternatives.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, all of the bottled coralline algae products are snake oil. So long as you have proper parameters and put something with some living coralline algae on, it will take off in your tank. If you already have something with coralline on it in your tank and its not spreading, your tank is either too new or your parameters are off.
Same answer to JCTReefer, I am not looking to introduce anything new into the tank just to take a chance at them bringing in coralline algae. I am looking for a product. If one has tried coralline algae products and it did not work, I'd love to hear about their experience. Otherwise yeah no thanks, not looking for alternatives.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No thanks, I am not looking for any of those methods. They do not guarantee that I will definitely be able to get coralline algae. Also because I am not looking to introduce anymore inverts into the aquarium. I am looking for a product. If one has tried coralline algae products and it did not work, I'd love to hear about their experience. Otherwise yeah no thanks, not looking for alternatives.
Arc didn’t work for me. Dosed two bottles and nothing. Just my experience with that product.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same answer to JCTReefer, I am not looking to introduce anything new into the tank just to take a chance at them bringing in coralline algae. I am looking for a product. If one has tried coralline algae products and it did not work, I'd love to hear about their experience. Otherwise yeah no thanks, not looking for alternatives.
Right, what I’m saying is that there is no product to introduce coralline algae that actually works. They’ve been on the market for years, I’ve tried them and they didn’t do anything and they didn’t work for everyone who I know that’s used them. I’m trying to understand why you’re so adamantly opposed to adding something as simple as an empty snail shell with some coralline on it, but I can’t really come up with any logical reason. IME, if you want coralline algae, you have to put live coralline algae in the tank.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, what I’m saying is that there is no product to introduce coralline algae that actually works. They’ve been on the market for years, I’ve tried them and they didn’t do anything and they didn’t work for everyone who I know that’s used them. I’m trying to understand why you’re so adamantly opposed to adding something as simple as an empty snail shell with some coralline on it, but I can’t really come up with any logical reason. IME, if you want coralline algae, you have to put live coralline algae in the tank.
See, this is what I would be looking for, experience with actual products.

Why not add empty snail shells with some coralline on it? Very easy answer to this, and it's the same answer I provided earlier. I don't want to introduce something that may or may not work. Unless I can go into a LFS and scour their tanks to pick up something that definitely have coralline algae on it (which I can't), then I don't want to keep buying things that may not work.

Same with coralline algae products. Whole point of this entire thread, asking about experiences of what worked for people (if any), or failing that, at least experience with the products and what has not worked.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arc reef worked for me lol I used the pink one and it’s growing on rocks and pumps and yes it’s pink

Back