Best coralline algae product? I am looking to dose my aquarium.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could also spend $40 on an Uber to go to my nearest (reputable) LFS to get some coralline algae, so $17 to have some delivered sounds good to me.
Sounds like a great deal .
but why isn’t it already growing ?
Chances are you have already introduced it somewhere or somehow .

if the system isn’t stable enough to grow it without adding the magic bottle, why would the magic bottle of essentially the same thing work ?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like arc reef, it’s actually multiple strains of coralline algae so you have a higher chance of getting one that would be more apt to yr tank parameters , the purple bottle got me bright purple but also a lot of green coraline algae

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could also spend $40 on an Uber to go to my nearest (reputable) LFS to get some coralline algae, so $17 to have some delivered sounds good to me.
Do it. I hope you pay that guy $17. I recommend you do it now.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, this is what I would be looking for, experience with actual products.

Why not add empty snail shells with some coralline on it? Very easy answer to this, and it's the same answer I provided earlier. I don't want to introduce something that may or may not work. Unless I can go into a LFS and scour their tanks to pick up something that definitely have coralline algae on it (which I can't), then I don't want to keep buying things that may not work.

Same with coralline algae products. Whole point of this entire thread, asking about experiences of what worked for people (if any), or failing that, at least experience with the products and what has not worked.
I've used the Arc Reef product. First time, it didn't work because my system was too new. Second time it spread everywhere. Spots in no time on everything, when my parameter were steady. I've also started with corraline scrapings from my LFS. Just ask them, and they should be happy to throw some in w/another purchase since it costs them nothing.

Overbrook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if it’s already been suggested (can’t read through all of the back and forth) but I used algae barn’s product with seeming success. Has a expiration date and such which made me feel like it was real.

ru4serious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No thanks, I am not looking for any of those methods. They do not guarantee that I will definitely be able to get coralline algae. Also because I am not looking to introduce anymore inverts into the aquarium. I am looking for a product. If one has tried coralline algae products and it did not work, I'd love to hear about their experience. Otherwise yeah no thanks, not looking for alternatives.
If you don't keep alk, ph, and calcium, levels up the stuff in a bottle won't grow it either , if you do keep them up, anything with some coraline on it will work

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly id personally avoid going out of your way to grow it until it comes naturally, especially if youre new to the hobby. Coraline adds a lot more maintenance to glass and pump cleaning and takes up a lot of alk/cal/mg. Eventually youll add a snail, hermit or coral with some Coraline on it and itll just start growing one day on its own.

If you're dead set on growing it the best way is to go out and buy something with coraline already growing on it. Introducing it is the first step and from there you just need good, stable parameters and itll spread quick enough.

This is a very good point.

I remember when I first starting reading and getting into the hobby that it seemed like it was a good barometer for the chemical stability of your tank. Its presence signaled that your tank was probably safe for corals particularly those with more demanding requirements.

I viewed the bottles I dumped into my tank (not thinking about the obvious LR, snails, etc introductions) as a way to test things. Not very efficient, I know. Hindsight is 20/20. I also didn't have this wonderful forum to ask questions, either.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, what I’m saying is that there is no product to introduce coralline algae that actually works. They’ve been on the market for years, I’ve tried them and they didn’t do anything and they didn’t work for everyone who I know that’s used them. I’m trying to understand why you’re so adamantly opposed to adding something as simple as an empty snail shell with some coralline on it, but I can’t really come up with any logical reason. IME, if you want coralline algae, you have to put live coralline algae in the tank.
Yes there is

ARC

it literally contains chunks of rocks with coralline growing on it. The same you a coral plug has some growing in it. The difference is, the ARC stuff doesn’t also have flatworm eggs, or ich tomonts attached to it...

Of course- if your TANK hasn’t established the necessary conditions to maintain coralline growth- nothing is going to work. It needs stable calcium and alk, just like corals do

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there is

ARC

it literally contains chunks of rocks with coralline growing on it. The same you a coral plug has some growing in it. The difference is, the ARC stuff doesn’t also have flatworm eggs, or ich tomonts attached to it...

Of course- if your TANK hasn’t established the necessary conditions to maintain coralline growth- nothing is going to work. It needs stable calcium and alk, just like corals do
I’ve used it, and I’m not sold on it. I think maybe if you got a bottle fresh from the manufacturer it might work, but I don’t think it has a long or stable shelf life. If people want to buy it, that’s their prerogative, I’m just stating my experience with and opinion of the product. I’ve been keeping reef tanks for over 20 years, and IME, most of these kinds of products are either snake oil or have such limited and specific use cases for success or are not shelf stable that it’s hard to recommend them when there are tried and true methods of achieving the same thing (for a fraction of the price). If you had success with it, I’m happy for you, but I have yet to see more than a couple people (and no one that I know IRL) claim to have success with this product in a completely sterile tank (ie with no other sources of coralline algae), everyone else who claims it’s successful can’t definitively say that its successful because there were other sources of coralline in their tanks. Again, if people want to buy it, more power to them, and I hope they get the results they’re after, but based on my experience with it, I can’t recommend it.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used it, and I’m not sold on it. I think maybe if you got a bottle fresh from the manufacturer it might work, but I don’t think it has a long or stable shelf life. If people want to buy it, that’s their prerogative, I’m just stating my experience with and opinion of the product. I’ve been keeping reef tanks for over 20 years, and IME, most of these kinds of products are either snake oil or have such limited and specific use cases for success or are not shelf stable that it’s hard to recommend them when there are tried and true methods of achieving the same thing (for a fraction of the price). If you had success with it, I’m happy for you, but I have yet to see more than a couple people (and no one that I know IRL) claim to have success with this product in a completely sterile tank (ie with no other sources of coralline algae), everyone else who claims it’s successful can’t definitively say that its successful because there were other sources of coralline in their tanks. Again, if people want to buy it, more power to them, and I hope they get the results they’re after, but based on my experience with it, I can’t recommend it.
I’ve put mine in a tank at the cycle, Marco rocks, weeks before anything else went in, and I had 30 lbs of purple and pink rock the day I put my first clean up crew in.

also: it literally has a use by date written the bottle. If you used expired product, not exactly fair to call it snake oil, is it?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve put mine in a tank at the cycle, Marco rocks, weeks before anything else went in, and I had 30 lbs of purple and pink rock the day I put my first clean up crew in.

also: it literally has a use by date written the bottle. If you used expired product, not exactly fair to call it snake oil, is it?
Who said I used it after the expiration date?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that they do not put the bottle on shelves of any sort , every order is made to order by the manufacturer, atleast that’s what I was quoted

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great deal .
but why isn’t it already growing ?
Chances are you have already introduced it somewhere or somehow .

if the system isn’t stable enough to grow it without adding the magic bottle, why would the magic bottle of essentially the same thing work ?
nailed it.

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me put this in short. Bottle is no going to work if your parameters are not up and scrapping either. So 1st thing is make sure all parameters are up before try any of the methods. But be aware scrapping algae of your glass and pumps is a real pain

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I absolutely do think scrapings and coralline algae on snail shells will work fine. I just can't obtain scrapings at the moment, and coralline algae on snail shells obviously depends on if I can get snails (or other inverts) with coralline on their shells, which is where the 'may or may not work' comes in. I don't want to risk ordering more and more inverts just to have a chance at one of them having coralline algae is the point.

Nothing to do with whether coralline algae once introduced will actually take off or not, different point to the thread entirely.
Not trying to really push you hard towards snail shells, but you made an interesting point and maybe my answer will help in some other situation.

Despite large warehouse companies like Amazon and others working really hard on ever more effective marketing strategies/brainwashing (and sometimes succeeding) to make you forget this, there are actual people behind every online shop, especially small or tiny ones, it's not just a dead and stupid UI.

So if you order from an online shop selling corals or snails, or whatever in this small hobby, you can send those people behind it an email or give them a call before ordering, telling them you have special requests and asking what they can do for you. They should be (and most of the time are) happy to help.

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cooool. Did you use this particular product to seed your aquarium?
I got mine from a friend. He ordered a bunch and gave me some. I started my first tank with all marco rock and dosed it after the cycle. I had coraline on the glass first then really started growing on the rocks after a few months. Once you get it on the glass keep scraping it to help spread it more.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back