Best coralline algae product? I am looking to dose my aquarium.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from a friend. He ordered a bunch and gave me some. I started my first tank with all marco rock and dosed it after the cycle. I had coraline on the glass first then really started growing on the rocks after a few months. Once you get it on the glass keep scraping it to help spread it more.
ur not helping

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from a friend. He ordered a bunch and gave me some. I started my first tank with all marco rock and dosed it after the cycle. I had coraline on the glass first then really started growing on the rocks after a few months. Once you get it on the glass keep scraping it to help spread it more.
Thanks a bunch for the info!

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the topic of being helpful vs. helpful, let me leave this here:

Everyone is in a different situation, and has different preferences or necessities. To me, you are being helpful when you are answering the question being asked, without any presumptions. You can ask to clarify, because yes sometimes there is context missing. But just posting irrelevant opinions, suggestions, or experiences is not necessarily helpful.

So to those who shared your experiences with coralline algae products with me, whether it worked for your or not, thank you! I really appreciate your experience either way, because that was directly answering my question and provided the food for thought I was looking for. Yes, including posts where people tried coralline algae products and it did not work for them.

To everyone else, sorry but you were just wasting both your time and mine. I understand you all were just trying to be helpful, but trying to be helpful is different from actually being helpful in my books. I hope you don't take this personally, but yeah nah I just can't appreciate your help if it's really just wasting everyone's time. I guess thank you or something for trying though.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Everyone is in a different situation, and has different preferences or necessities. To me, you are being helpful when you are answering the question being asked, without any presumptions. You can ask to clarify, because yes sometimes there is context missing. But just posting irrelevant opinions, suggestions, or experiences is not necessarily helpful.

So to those who shared your experiences with coralline algae products with me, whether it worked for your or not, thank you! I really appreciate your experience either way, because that was directly answering my question and provided the food for thought I was looking for. Yes, including posts where people tried coralline algae products and it did not work for them.

To everyone else, sorry but you were just wasting both your time and mine. I understand you all were just trying to be helpful, but trying to be helpful is different from actually being helpful in my books. I hope you don't take this personally, but yeah nah I just can't appreciate your help if it's really just wasting everyone's time. I guess thank you or something for trying though.
Wow ....
seriously ?

I think this was supposed to be part of your coralline algae post and not reflecting negativity towards this particular thread ?

for the record “ the coralline algae in my tank did not come from a bottle .
but years established on the rocks throughout many builds .
When I see a little on a frag rack or a spot of glass I wanted to see through ( front ) I would scrape it releasing the algae into the system .

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ....
seriously ?
Yes, seriously.
for the record “ the coralline algae in my tank did not come from a bottle .
but years established on the rocks throughout many builds .
When I see a little on a frag rack or a spot of glass I wanted to see through ( front ) I would scrape it releasing the algae into the system .
For example, this very post. Don't see the relevance to the topic at hand, one bit.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Offered experience about coraline , it seems you aren’t helping
normally I don't take the time to come in an defend myself from such remark but the reality of the thread was the user had already used a bottle with no effect rather than coddle or point in other directions I choose the straight forward path the numbers need to be stable no bottle of purp will change that.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You did also ask for "tips and tricks" in your OP, so the replies to this thread have directly addressed what you asked for in your OP.

Anyone that takes up your offer to send you some, maybe you best outline your preferred courier and the packaging materials you want used, we wouldn't want someone making assumptions would we.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did also ask for "tips and tricks" in your OP, so the replies to this thread have directly addressed what you asked for in your OP.

Anyone that takes up your offer to send you some, maybe you best outline your preferred courier and the packaging materials you want used, we wouldn't want someone making assumptions would we.
I mean if we are cherry-picking individual lines in my post, I also asked 'what products (besides live rock) have you guys had success with?', which I guess means if someone comes in and talk about skimmers or fish food, that's relevant too?

Nah of course not.

Clearly I'd be talking about the topic of the thread with the 'tips and tricks', i.e. coralline algae products.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see we're both impatient. What I like to do is find the oldest crustiest tank in my area and ask one of the employees to scrape you a chunk of coraline off the wall. Take it home and put it in your blender with some saltwater.

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove your rock, get a tie die kit, and make your very own Gerry Garcia stile scape :)

Otherwise up your reading comprehension, as there was nothing more you need to know from all the posts others took the time to outline for you, especially those who repeatedly stated your parameters need to be in check - and consistent.

Ps... I’m sort of in the same boat as you - I used Pink ARC during my cycle. I’m 3 months in, parameters are level, along with frags and snails with coralline on them, and ZILCH when it comes to any sign of growth yet. I just started to dose Res Sea KH Gro.. 1ml a day to first see what the increase to my DKH it will have - who knows maybe this will help, maybe not, but I’m going to give it a good 2-3 months of dosing before I feel like its suspect product.

So the last note you might want to realize... don’t try to rush things.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if we are cherry-picking individual lines in my post, I also asked 'what products (besides live rock) have you guys had success with?', which I guess means if someone comes in and talk about skimmers or fish food, that's relevant too?

Nah of course not.

Clearly I'd be talking about the topic of the thread with the 'tips and tricks', i.e. coralline algae products.

Cherry picking a line... you make your words sound so unimportant, yet expect the rest of us to follow them word for word and not deviate, every single word you wrote holds great importance, so a line of them has to be written on a tablet of stone somewhere surely.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherry picking a line... you make your words sound so unimportant, yet expect the rest of us to follow them word for word and not deviate, every single word you wrote holds great importance, so a line of them has to be written on a tablet of stone somewhere surely.
Not even that. But clearly you are saying I should expect all manners of suggestions, recommendations, etc. despite the context of the entire first post, just because of three words? Aren't you saying it's my fault that I am receiving things I am not expecting because people are following those three words 'word for word and not deviate'?

"Oh yeah op said 'tips or tricks', so clearly following op's words exactly, I can throw in whatever"?

Oh yeah let's recommend live rock, because despite op saying 'no live rock', yeah nah 'tips and tricks' so that's fine, let's suggest live rock anyways!

Oh yeah op said 'I want something to dose into the tank', but nah op said 'tips and tricks', so let's suggest corals and snails and all that! Why not! 'Tips and tricks'.

Coolio. Sorry but no, I absolutely do not expect people to have to follow my words like gospel or anything, but hey, if I did specify something already, at least y'know, heed what I specified. I don't think it's invalid of me to complain about something when I have already specified parameters for it very clearly.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me just respond to all four of you guys at once.
1. I can't get to a LFS at this point, the closest one is still far too far away and it's not something feasible for me.
2. I don't have a friend who I can go over to scrap some coralline off of their tank either, and unless they live really close, same as above, can't go off to their place.
3. I want a more guaranteed method, and one that is not troublesome in case that matters. Even with WYSIWYG corals, firstly it has to have coralline algae showing, then it has to be certain that the retailer's WYSIWYG is truly WYSIWYG, and we all know that that's not always the case, and then of course, it has to be a matter of a coral I'd actually want in my tank. Or otherwise it'd be a case of getting something home, then tossing the coral and keeping the plug or whatever which... is not something I want to do.
4. I totally would not mind some coralline algae sent to me if that's something someone can do.
5. Failing that, I want a bottled coralline algae product, and if it turns out they don't work, then I just won't bother with even trying.

Hope that resolves some assumptions you guys have about what I can or can't do. I mean, I did make this thread with a very specific question for a reason. If I could easily go get some coralline algae from someone else I would have.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not even that. But clearly you are saying I should expect all manners of suggestions, recommendations, etc. despite the context of the entire first post, just because of three words? Aren't you saying it's my fault that I am receiving things I am not expecting because people are following those three words 'word for word and not deviate'?

"Oh yeah op said 'tips or tricks', so clearly following op's words exactly, I can throw in whatever"?

Oh yeah let's recommend live rock, because despite op saying 'no live rock', yeah nah 'tips and tricks' so that's fine, let's suggest live rock anyways!

Oh yeah op said 'I want something to dose into the tank', but nah op said 'tips and tricks', so let's suggest corals and snails and all that! Why not! 'Tips and tricks'.

Coolio. Sorry but no, I absolutely do not expect people to have to follow my words like gospel or anything, but hey, if I did specify something already, at least y'know, heed what I specified. I don't think it's invalid of me to complain about something when I have already specified parameters for it very clearly.
Look I get it, sometimes you just ignore the posts that are not helpful, if you were paying for the replies I could understand the annoyance, but you're not, it's people trying in their own way to help someone out, maybe just see the unhelpful replies as bumps to your thread so it moves back to the top of the page...even you must admit that at least one suggestion that wasn't directly answering your OP was a good one, maybe someone will offer to send you some, not sure if anyone is that brave though :cool:

Justin_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lol you tell ‘em!

DCarlos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know if you already found another answer but this worked for me. Just follow the instructions on the bottle or watch their video. I started with dry rock and it took hold after a couple of months.

Let me just respond to all four of you guys at once.
1. I can't get to a LFS at this point, the closest one is still far too far away and it's not something feasible for me.
2. I don't have a friend who I can go over to scrap some coralline off of their tank either, and unless they live really close, same as above, can't go off to their place.
3. I want a more guaranteed method, and one that is not troublesome in case that matters. Even with WYSIWYG corals, firstly it has to have coralline algae showing, then it has to be certain that the retailer's WYSIWYG is truly WYSIWYG, and we all know that that's not always the case, and then of course, it has to be a matter of a coral I'd actually want in my tank. Or otherwise it'd be a case of getting something home, then tossing the coral and keeping the plug or whatever which... is not something I want to do.
4. I totally would not mind some coralline algae sent to me if that's something someone can do.
5. Failing that, I want a bottled coralline algae product, and if it turns out they don't work, then I just won't bother with even trying.

Hope that resolves some assumptions you guys have about what I can or can't do. I mean, I did make this thread with a very specific question for a reason. If I could easily go get some coralline algae from someone else I would have.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back