Best course of action to save last few fish, fish are dying every few hours!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What about my Emerald crabs, shrimp, and snails? Can they be left in the tank or do I need to remove them also?
All inverts will be safe. Not sure why alk is being addressed as likely had no impact on fish loss and is in a safe range ( 8-11dkh)

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, there is no basis for running fallow longer than 75 days, and 45 works ok at higher temperatures.
Jay
I hear you guys, but I've tried to re introduce fish after outbreak and unsuccesful 2-3 months out. doubling that time worked for me in my personal experience after severe velvet/ich out break.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you guys, but I've tried to re introduce fish after outbreak and unsuccesful 2-3 months out. doubling that time worked for me in my personal experience after severe velvet/ich out break.
Cases where disease shows up after a proper fallow can be traced back to improper biosecurity. There is no basis for needing to go that long, the longest time needed for ich in a low temperature, xeric culture was 76 days. Amyloodinium and Neobenedenia are shorter than that.

Jay

OP
OP
S

saulgoodmannnn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sad indeed.

I can tell by your initial post you are detail oriented. I’m curious why not QT prior to putting anything into the display? Are you not familiar with QT methods or is it a space issue?
I am far from detail oriented lol. I tried to be as detailed as possible to learn what best QT method I should do and what is the possible culprit. I got half of the fish with the tank when I purchased it and any inhabitants I added were from a trusted LFS that QTs with copper for 14 days minimum. I made the mistake of doing a drop and pray with a Mandarin from a LFS I used to use from my freshwater days and that’s what I believe introduced the Ich/velvet…. Lesson learned unfortunately

OP
OP
S

saulgoodmannnn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cases where disease shows up after a proper fallow can be traced back to improper biosecurity. There is no basis for needing to go that long, the longest time needed for ich in a low temperature, xeric culture was 76 days. Amyloodinium and Neobenedenia are shorter than that.

Jay
So how long are you recommending I go?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how long are you recommending I go?

It depends on the water temperature of the tank and your aversion to risk, as well as how effective your biosecurity efforts are. 76 days at 78 degrees F. would be the longest time that would ever be needed. If there is a compelling reason to go shorter, then this discussion might offer some insight:

Jay

Back