BEST DAY EVER! wait now what? Moving 75g into 90g….

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats standard procedure when moving fish, rock, sand, coral and (hopefully) water from one large tank to the other? The best thing in the world happened to me and i am proud new owner of a 90 gallon two holes in the bottom drilled for in and out and a quarter circle barrier overflow. Pic of old, lame, outdated, small, unloved, put-up-for-adoption 75 and new shiny beautiful 90 gallon to show it off mostly.

theyre right next to each other so that definitely helps. I also have 10 gallon of sand that came with the tank sitting in buckets, its large grain sand vs. my small sand so i definitely want to add it in. Will rinse it with a hose for a couple if hours first.

anyone with tips tricks or recommendation its much appreciated.

83FCC587-9B5B-4E4C-A2B7-1BBBA09AE4EA.png

kathouqc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this upgrade worth it or not?

I am looking to change my 75G for a 90G aha

PharmrJohn

Maker of Mac & Cheese
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To preface, I'm trying to remember exactly what i did, and it was a LONG time ago where I did the EXACT same thing. Memory is spotty from that era, but this is what I think hsppened.

It took a couple of days cause the 90 didn't fit my 75 stand. Took me one day to brace and build on a simple addition to the stand. Took another day to set up all the hardware and reintroduce the aquascape and sand. Took another (or 2?) to let the sand settle and water temperature to rise. I used the same water whereever I could. I had a few 10 gallon tanks and a 20 i think. Also a brute garbage can (something like that). I put the corals in 1 or 2 tanks and the fish in whatever tanks and the rest in the brute. Had airstones and cheap heaters in all. I also premixed more water in another brute (with yet another heater and airstone) to use as large top off at the very beginning of the effort. When it was time I moved everything back all at once. During this time I think I cut feeding in half (at least, if at all). I remember i was worried about ammonia build up. Things went well. No deaths.

Now, as I stated, this was well over a decade ago and at my age, memory is NOT what it used to be. I would use this as a VERY loose procedure and wait for more replies.

PharmrJohn

Maker of Mac & Cheese
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which beings me to another memory. I DIDN'T KNOW that the 90G tank would not fit my stand. My fix was completely on the fly with no experience at building really anything. Kind of freaked me out. Also, and this is just as important and something I NEVER considered, But would the stand take the extra water weight. LOL, that actually came to me a few weeks ago while watching a video on a DYI stand build. Gotta consider that as well. Also, will the extra water weight be OK with your flooring. I THINK that a 90G won't be an issue with ground floor in pretty much any case. But upstairs? It may be. I KNOW that larger tanks may require joists, even the ground floor, depending on how the beams are situated underneath. If the floor sags, you can end up with cracked glass. Now that I've overthought this (as I always do), I will conclude.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back