Best Deal on Apex Probes - most important?

Jud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all -

Just got (what seems to be) a great deal from a local reefer. Picking up a slightly used 2016 Apex (brain + EB832) for $250.

I was going to go with an ApexEL, but it’s my first Apex and it seemed like a better deal to have extra expand-ability.

It does not, however, come with probes. I’m now seeing that they are a little pricier than I realized.

Anyone have any preferred spots for picking up some probes - buy used as a set or online cheap? Or any definitely necessary whereas some (ORP?) not as much so?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all -

Just got (what seems to be) a great deal from a local reefer. Picking up a slightly used 2016 Apex (brain + EB832) for $250.

I was going to go with an ApexEL, but it’s my first Apex and it seemed like a better deal to have extra expand-ability.

It does not, however, come with probes. I’m now seeing that they are a little pricier than I realized.

Anyone have any preferred spots for picking up some probes - buy used as a set or online cheap? Or any definitely necessary whereas some (ORP?) not as much so?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

BRS sells all of them - Not sure you need the ORP.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS sells all of them - Not sure you need the ORP.
Yep they are prob the cheapest for a good probe.
ORP could be useful in certain application like a sulfur reactor or ozone. Other than that you just see it go up and down when you have more oxidizers or reducers at work.

OP
OP
Jud

Jud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys feel about the salinity/conductivity probe? A useful tool? I can see some merit to monitoring salinity fluctuations give I’m running a 40 gallon AIO tank, but am also not above staying on the ol’ refractometer.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys feel about the salinity/conductivity probe? A useful tool? I can see some merit to monitoring salinity fluctuations give I’m running a 40 gallon AIO tank, but am also not above staying on the ol’ refractometer.

People complain a lot about the Neptune conductivity probes, but mine have always worked great.
Accurate and quite steady, calibrate fine.
I think the biggest issue is that you must avoid microbubbles entering the probe.
Microbubbles result in decreased conductivity which the Apex will interpret as decreased salinity.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you want to monitor a small tank with a salinity probe it could be useful if you keep the probe maintained. Small tanks can move one way or another pretty fast. I would not rely on it for your final salinity measurement. Use it as a warning something might be wrong. I dont need it in my tank as 600 gallons dont move 1 way or another very fast. My 15 gallon ato could dump everything in the tank and salinity would not hardly move.

powdertang05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve owned lfs and never used a single probe. Currently I use the 2016 on all my systems and I find the salinity and orp to be useless. Constantly calibrating the salinity and seeing random swings make it worthless to me. I think ph is the only one that is useful to me. If you plan to use the probe in the sump a single joint will work. If you want to use it to control a carx double jointed will work great but I’ve used single for years just replace them every 9-12 months. That’s my two cents.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back