Best device to monitor the temperatures of 6 tanks simultaneously and accurately

Camd4k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, this probably isnt the usual discussion post but I've recently started a job working for an aquaculture engineering company and our most recent job is to build a 6 tank rack system for sea urchins in which we have the ability to monitor and datalog all of the temperature information. Florida State University is running a collaboration study in california to find out if rising temperatures in the ocean are to blame for the population explosion of sea urchins on that coast. So what I really need to know is if there is a controller out there that can accurately monitor and datalog the temperatures for the 6 tanks. Any information is helpful thanks!

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say good luck.. I have a few different products I use (inkbird, pymeter, the cheap little digital temp probes, and my neptune apex). i have to say the apex is by far the most reliable (I have 3 on one tank and they all move perfectly with each other... and when set next to each other are typically a .02-.03 variance at most.

OP
OP
Camd4k

Camd4k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say good luck.. I have a few different products I use (inkbird, pymeter, the cheap little digital temp probes, and my neptune apex). i have to say the apex is by far the most reliable (I have 3 on one tank and they all move perfectly with each other... and when set next to each other are typically a .02-.03 variance at most.
Hmm I was looking into the apex at first but I was worried I might not be able to reach the level of accuracy we need. There can only be a 1⁰ deviation and the temperatures we are monitoring are between 48⁰ and 60⁰ F so I'm worried it might not be too accurate within that range considering most reef tank are kept between 74 and 78⁰ F

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just need to data log the tempatures? There are lots of thermocouple data loggers on the market.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just need to data log the tempatures? There are lots of thermocouple data loggers on the market.

This. For a research study you will want calibrated NIST traceable data loggers. They aren't cheap but you stated this was a study at a university, grant money is always helpful for these things. Fisher Scientific and Madge Tech are some places I would check out for what your looking for.

I've ran research labs before, not specifically for aquaculture, but I'm a biologist/physiologist according to my degrees and many years of schooling.

Madge Tech equipment is fairly priced and reliable, they would be my first choice.

OP
OP
Camd4k

Camd4k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. For a research study you will want calibrated NIST traceable data loggers. They aren't cheap but you stated this was a study at a university, grant money is always helpful for these things. Fisher Scientific and Madge Tech are some places I would check out for what your looking for.

I've ran research labs before, not specifically for aquaculture, but I'm a biologist/physiologist according to my degrees and many years of schooling.

Madge Tech equipment is fairly priced and reliable, they would be my first choice.
Thank you I will definitely look into it. We arent really trying to look for cheap more just the right sized for the job because the controllers we make are 15k and that's a little overkill for 6 tanks haha

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I will definitely look into it. We arent really trying to look for cheap more just the right sized for the job because the controllers we make are 15k and that's a little overkill for 6 tanks haha

Understood! Yea Kaye units aren't cheap! Madge Tech has an affordable and reliable option for what you want. Fisher Scientific does as well, but I would go with the Madge Tech.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what you're willing to spend, I just installed a whole bunch of Monnit temperature monitors around my store (to keep track of cooler and freezer temps). They have a bazillion different monitors (ie temp/humidity/vibration) and different ways to connect them to the internet. At my store, they all transmit to a central hub which is connected to the internet so I can keep an eye on the temps in real time (or in X minute increments anyway), plus, if something goes out of range, it'll send an alert to my phone.
Here's the type that I've been using. I'm *guessing* the probe is submersible (granted, you could easily waterproof it like everyone does with the Ranco probes, but if you call and ask they can probably answer your questions. They were really easy to work with.
There is also an annual fee, but it was pretty nominal as I recall.

OP
OP
Camd4k

Camd4k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey so the doodads I would need would be the data logger devices and the probes or what else would I maybe need? I'm still kind of new to scientific aquarium gear haha

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, this probably isnt the usual discussion post but I've recently started a job working for an aquaculture engineering company and our most recent job is to build a 6 tank rack system for sea urchins in which we have the ability to monitor and datalog all of the temperature information. Florida State University is running a collaboration study in california to find out if rising temperatures in the ocean are to blame for the population explosion of sea urchins on that coast. So what I really need to know is if there is a controller out there that can accurately monitor and datalog the temperatures for the 6 tanks. Any information is helpful thanks!

I'd be happy with accurate temperatures for 1 tank. Put 6 meters into a tank and probably get 6 different results. As it is, I feel like I'm just doing my best to keep it in range and stable, but I don't know that I actually trust what the probe says exactly. I hope it's within 2 degrees.

Good luck, sounds interesting and I'm curious as to what you end up with.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so the doodads I would need would be the data logger devices and the probes or what else would I maybe need? I'm still kind of new to scientific aquarium gear haha

Depends on your wants/needs. For what it sounds like your doing you would need one of the loggers that is capable of doing at least 6 simultaneous readings and 6 probes.

Last time I needed to quote a system I gave them a call and they were helpful and knowledgeable. They should be able to hook you up with a quote for a unit + 6 probes that are good for underwater use without any issues.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your wants/needs. For what it sounds like your doing you would need one of the loggers that is capable of doing at least 6 simultaneous readings and 6 probes.

Last time I needed to quote a system I gave them a call and they were helpful and knowledgeable. They should be able to hook you up with a quote for a unit + 6 probes that are good for underwater use without any issues.

At one point I had a contact but they have since moved on so I no longer have an up to date contact.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Inkbird, but the Toe Knows, it knows
ZomboMeme 29092021164029.jpg

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I would go with.

And these thermocouples should do the job.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back