Best dip for monti eating nudis

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they eat digi. Also they are extremely hard to get rid of because they wonder off of their host corals very often. So unlike aefw which stay on their coral 99 percent of the time it’s hard to dip for them in any certain amount of dips. Plus the dips do not affect them like they affect aefw. The nudi will look dead for a min but can be revived when out back in tank water. Aefw dissolve in strong dips.

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little clusters of white dots. And you need a lens to see them . Super tiny
I've got them in my QT tank. I actually went looking for the eggs with my dental loupes, (glasses with magnification built in) couldn't ID the eggs to save my life.
If it helps, I tried basting and scrubbing every 3 days for 3 weeks with CoralRx. They came right back, so I'd skip that step.
I'm about to buy a yellow coris wrasse, but perhaps ill give Melafix a try first...
I'll keep you posted. I hate these things.

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got them in my QT tank. I actually went looking for the eggs with my dental loupes, (glasses with magnification built in) couldn't ID the eggs to save my life.
If it helps, I tried basting and scrubbing every 3 days for 3 weeks with CoralRx. They came right back, so I'd skip that step.
I'm about to buy a yellow coris wrasse, but perhaps ill give Melafix a try first...
I'll keep you posted. I hate these things.
Takes 6 to 8 weeks to beat them with 3 day dipping and scrubbing the whole underside of coral with a toothbrush. Melafix is def the way to go when attacking these things

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try coating the underside of the monti with superglue, to smother them . They can be beat

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask yourself if the monti cap is worth the effort. It sucks that corals die but that coral can be easily bought again. You’ll spend more money (and time) trying to save it. If, after all that effort, you still have the nudibranchs you’ll just get frustrated.
Just go monti free for a few months until the Nudibranchs die off then properly QT any new montis that you buy.
A coral needs to be pretty special if you’re going to pick a fight against MENs.
FWIW they also eat my elk horn acros.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask yourself if the monti cap is worth the effort. It sucks that corals die but that coral can be easily bought again. You’ll spend more money (and time) trying to save it. If, after all that effort, you still have the nudibranchs you’ll just get frustrated.
Just go monti free for a few months until the Nudibranchs die off then properly QT any new montis that you buy.
A coral needs to be pretty special if you’re going to pick a fight against MENs.
FWIW they also eat my elk horn acros.

Actually thats a very fair perspective. If it ever happens to me again I’d probably go this route. I did find that they didn’t transfer from tank to tank on their own (I have 5 tanks plumbed together). In retrospect I can mark each time I discovered them in a tank to immediately after a monti move I made. if I’m hit again, I would just not move any monti. At least I’d learn if they could make the transfer on their own.

But just in case there is at least 1, display got a pair (they’re really cool paired up), yellow coris in each tank that has any type of monti in it.

E13MentX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a lot of work but I had success using coraRX and bayer dip. But I dipped it multiple times a week and got a toothbrush and kept brushing off the bottom of the monti even if I didn't see anything. Eventually they all went away and never came back.

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Takes 6 to 8 weeks to beat them with 3 day dipping and scrubbing the whole underside of coral with a toothbrush. Melafix is def the way to go when attacking these things

what concentration of Melafix did you use?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back