Best/easiest test kits?

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if there are any easier and more reliable test kits than what I currently have? I am using the Saltwater and Reef test kits from API... Are there any easier to use? Especially for calcium and alk? since it takes forever with the one drop at a time thing... Thanks!

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may find more accurate tests than the API but I doubt there are any that are quicker to use. I've used the API for Calcium and Alk but I use Hanna checkers for both now.

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at those... Are they easy to use? Was looking at the calcium, alk and phosphate ones... I dont mind the API ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests as those are fairly easy to read... Its the others like calcium, phosphate, alk that are tougher... Also I would like a magnesium test since it seems that is something I should be keeping an eye on as well...

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the red sea pro mg kit...not easy at first but u get used to it and it's very accurate.

Mike D "like the beastie boys" Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna alk is the easiest to use to me. The phosphate is the same but it comes with a packet of dry reagent instead of liquid which is a littler harder to get all in the tube. The calcium test is a bit more involved because you have to use RO/DI water as part of the test.

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome... anything is better than the one drip at a time and shake while you count the drips method! LOL It is a bit tedious and makes me loathe doing the test...

Steven R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used API, SALIFERT,REDSEA,ELOS AND Hagen master tes kit 10 test in a box a 3 part. And i have to say out of all of them I have found this to work best for me.
1. ELOS, accurate specially in ALK goes down to the half DKH . And PH is really easy to read. Po4 is nice to,MAG is a pain in the but thats how it is no matter what brand.
2. Red Sea, accurate and fast.
3. Salifert little to long and some times more complicated than needed.But really on point!
4. Hagen 3 part, great but Ammonia is kind of whack. But PH is kind of easy hard to tell the purples apart with the dark blues.
5. API nice and fast. Great for basics but when you get into harder species you need more .
Hope this helps.

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the saifert test kit for Magneseum. Pretty easy to use. Have never tried the Hannah kits but I would like to look into them.

OP
OP
Cooper32803

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used API, SALIFERT,REDSEA,ELOS AND Hagen master tes kit 10 test in a box a 3 part. And i have to say out of all of them I have found this to work best for me.
1. ELOS, accurate specially in ALK goes down to the half DKH . And PH is really easy to read. Po4 is nice to,MAG is a pain in the but thats how it is no matter what brand.
2. Red Sea, accurate and fast.
3. Salifert little to long and some times more complicated than needed.But really on point!
4. Hagen 3 part, great but Ammonia is kind of whack. But PH is kind of easy hard to tell the purples apart with the dark blues.
5. API nice and fast. Great for basics but when you get into harder species you need more .
Hope this helps.

Thanks that helps.. I will look into the others as well...

I use the saifert test kit for Magneseum. Pretty easy to use. Have never tried the Hannah kits but I would like to look into them.

Easy to use is key... LOL I am no lab technician...

Back