Best economical choice for a powerhead

jdp13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations for an economical choice for powerheads? I have a 92 G corner tank. I've got 2 - Hydor - Koralia (3rd generation) pumps (2450 GPH) that I'm not overly thrilled with. I just feel like it there's not enough circulation in the tank. I may "bite the bullet" and get a Vortech pump, but if not, I'm curious what others might use that's a little more economical.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you decide on the wavemaker, do you know what you want to keep in the tank?
SPS will need higher flow than softies. A mixed reef will need a bit of everything.
Having said that, I run a 120g mixed tank and run two MP40's. I love those wavemakers! Worth the money IMO.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebaos are great! I run two nero 3s in my 25 gallon and recently picked up a slw-5? for my new build. Pretty happy with it so far. Its a bit more bulky than the nero, but for the price you cant beat it

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao and nero are pretty awesome for the $. I have one Nero 5 in my 90 with a cheap Amazon AC WM on the other side and the nero is WAY more powerful. Im eventually getting a icecap gyro as its out of sight out of mind.

OP
OP
jdp13

jdp13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you decide on the wavemaker, do you know what you want to keep in the tank?
SPS will need higher flow than softies. A mixed reef will need a bit of everything.
Having said that, I run a 120g mixed tank and run two MP40's. I love those wavemakers! Worth the money IMO.
So, just getting back into reefing after a 6 year break. I've got some softies to start but once I get more comfortable, I would eventually like to get some SPS as well. So most likely a mix is my ultimate goal

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jdp13

jdp13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that looks like an amazing deal. Thanks for sharing. I think I'm going to get these.
Yes they are very good pumps for the money. I like the controllers better than the Tunze ones and im a Tunze guy.
I ran 2 in my 120 for 2 years and they are now in my 80g growout system.

OP
OP
jdp13

jdp13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are very good pumps for the money. I like the controllers better than the Tunze ones and im a Tunze guy.
I ran 2 in my 120 for a year and a half and they are now in my 80g growout system.
Just order them! Thanks again.:)

Last edited:

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are MLW newer than SLW?
Yes. the MOW is the newer "smart" version of the older SOW series. now it runs via wifi and can be controlled via the jebao app. Same with the MLW, its the new "smart" version of the older SLW series.

The old OW series became the SOW series, which then became the MOW series. The links posted above to the (2) packs of OW wavemakers are several generations old at this point. Those are pre SOW (sine) and pre MOW (smart) series. That is why they are so cheap. they are the older models, and may not be as quiet as the newer ones.

Saying that, I've owned several SOW models in the past and they have all ben silent. I have not owned any of the older OW models so don't know how quiet they are in comparison.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back