Best Filter Media for Nano’s

NanoMan16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here is a general question and curious of the opinions out there. What is the best filter media in your opinions? I like the natural route, but not afraid to us Chemi-pure elite either. Thoughts? Opinions? Pro’s Con’s. Ready.... and...go!...lol

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here is a general question and curious of the opinions out there. What is the best filter media in your opinions? I like the natural route, but not afraid to us Chemi-pure elite either. Thoughts? Opinions? Pro’s Con’s. Ready.... and...go!...lol
MarinePure, followed by live rock. ^_^ I mean nothing beats live rock given that it also acts as deco, and base for coral and stuff. But MarinePure is great to let you not have as much rock as you think you'd need. One day I want to set up an aquarium with MarinePure 100% replacing live rock. XD

Poly-filter is also great. I like it because you can kinda tell is anything bad is happening. I have a piece in the back chamber just in case anything goes wrong, though it barely change color from white, so that's a good thing.

A filter sock is also great to just catch particles and help clear up a tank a lot.

Algae scrubbers are also awesome, especially because well, algae grows so easily, and just offers such a great way to soak up nutrients. Best thing (at least for mine) is that it will adapt as needed and shift between hair algae, cyano, etc. presumably depending on what nutrient is elevated at the point in time.

OP
OP
NanoMan16

NanoMan16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MarinePure, followed by live rock. ^_^ I mean nothing beats live rock given that it also acts as deco, and base for coral and stuff. But MarinePure is great to let you not have as much rock as you think you'd need. One day I want to set up an aquarium with MarinePure 100% replacing live rock. XD

Poly-filter is also great. I like it because you can kinda tell is anything bad is happening. I have a piece in the back chamber just in case anything goes wrong, though it barely change color from white, so that's a good thing.

A filter sock is also great to just catch particles and help clear up a tank a lot.

Algae scrubbers are also awesome, especially because well, algae grows so easily, and just offers such a great way to soak up nutrients. Best thing (at least for mine) is that it will adapt as needed and shift between hair algae, cyano, etc. presumably depending on what nutrient is elevated at the point in time.
Algae scrubbers ?

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMO, the first thing to consider is if you really need anything beyond the basic LR/LS (some of the oldest and most established nanos are just that simple). A proper water change/regular detritus removal schedule can take care of any excess nutrients quite easily as long as the system is not overfed and/or overpopulated (especially with fish).

Overly effective filtration, which can strip phosphate and nitrate to virtually zero levels, is a lot worse than having the tank get a little dirty.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back