Best filtration for a 12g nanocube quarantine tank.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be setting up my old 12g nanocube as a quarantine tank and wondered about the best filtration options for a tank this size. I know from past experiences that nano skimmers are pretty much useless. I thought about a small refugium (I’ve never run one before). I would do 10% water changes weekly as maintenance. The chambers in the back are pretty small. I’m not wanting a complicated setup because the tank is only for QT. I’d probably keep one fish in it. My DT is LPS/softie only so I don’t need SPS-like levels in the QT (and wonder if a refugium might keep nutrient levels too low). Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fuge would become an issue if you needed to medicate, plus it can bring in items that you trying to keep out like aiptasia. You should follow KISS as much as possible with QTs.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fuge would become an issue if you needed to medicate, plus it can bring in items that you trying to keep out like aiptasia. You should follow KISS as much as possible with QTs.
So maybe just water changes?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an AIO. Never mind the HOB filter. Water changes and a seachem ammonia badge might work. Do you use hte caddy in the back? REplace those if something comes up or when you add new animals to the QT.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an AIO. Never mind the HOB filter. Water changes and a seachem ammonia badge might work. Do you use hte caddy in the back? REplace those if something comes up or when you add new animals to the QT.
Mine is so old it doesn’t have the rack. I didn’t mention before that this will primarily be for quarantining corals, not fish. I’d set up a separate hospital tank if one of my fish got sick.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 79 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back