OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do acans and favia grow to the shape of whatever they are on as well? I see them usually looking like half a grapefruit. It'd be nice if they took on a different shape.

I am not a fan of birdsnest, thanks for the suggestion. Something about it creeps me out. Looks like a briar patch or something. When the time comes I guess I will start with monti's and then ask for suggestions on easier plating acros. I think some can be very picky.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh??? Give you a hard time nah!!!! Aahahahahah I thought you meAnt plating monties honestly... Or a tabling acro will do... Beware of the plating montis they take some real estate up quickly!!! Also block a ton of light.. With that said if it's placed right near the bottom it shouldn't be a huge ordeal...

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do acans and favia grow to the shape of whatever they are on as well? I see them usually looking like half a grapefruit. It'd be nice if they took on a different shape.

I am not a fan of birdsnest, thanks for the suggestion. Something about it creeps me out. Looks like a briar patch or something. When the time comes I guess I will start with monti's and then ask for suggestions on easier plating acros. I think some can be very picky.

Acans/Favia's will both conform somewhat to the shape of the rock they're growing on, but in general both have a 'mounding' growth form (it's essentially the best bang for the buck as far as surface area for their light absorption needs, nature's a great engineer :tongue: ) You can somewhat 'force' their grown by where you place them, but I wouldn't recommend thinking about that for now- get them in the tank and growing normally, then you can start turning into a bonsai reefer.

%<-GPS
Check out the ORA green birdsnest
_1110451.jpg

not quite as 'spiky' as the pinks.

For 'plating' acro's, only really the Efflo's that give that growth structure, though if you mount any of them perpendicular to your back wall, with some careful pruning you can get a nice flat branching structure, this is what I did with my red planet

RedPlanetDay5102010-1.jpg

Let me know if you find any plating acros I have been looking for some..;)

What about a simplex carefully pruned? could get a nice nearly laminar form out of it? I really want to do one now mounted on a magnet with as flat of a form as I can get out of it. Maybe even try forcing it's growth pattern by using some small acrylic rod wrapped loosely around it to encourage it's growth shape....but that's for another thread, lol

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know why chalices are called chalices, but I do have one that is actually curving up around the edges into more of a cup shape. I'll get a picture when I get a chance.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ora green birdsnest is much more appealing. I like the pociporas too, I think I have the spelling correct.

I feel like I have seen a quite a few "tabling" ;) got it, acros. Seems like they are usually purply or lavender. Ones that grow more like a table with fingers sticking up than spreading out and branching. In any case, those will be a little way off anyway as I need to get the lps thing down first. Right? :)

Wy- would love to see a pic of the True Chalice, chalice. Maybe you can name it, claim it as Wy Lineage and it will be the first true lineage piece with a COA? No? :nerd:

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second (fourth?) the suggestion of a frogspawn or torch. They are both colorful and add a lot of movement to your tank. I would stay away from softies (leathers, etc.) if you are going to want to move into SPS in the future. A lot of them release chemicals that stunt the growth of SPS.

If you are looking at SPS, I think that a plating montipora is a great option. They are hardy, quick growing and can be very bright. My first coral (besides what came with my tank) I got was a green montipora that someone from my local club gave me for joining the club. This was it shortly after I got it:
MontiCap2-28-10.jpg

It was about the size of a dime. And here it is about a year later:
GreenMontiporaCapTop2.jpg

It is about 6 inches in diameter and I have fragged off several pieces to pass along to new reefers. I keep a lot of my acans underneath it to shade them from the light.

CJ

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses! Much appreciated. I think that first on the addition list will be a super choice leather and a frogspawn. ;) Then we will go from there with the acans, favia & chalice. Once that is under control ... SPS!

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Just remember that leathers and SPS don't necessarily get along too well. Be sure to run carbon.

CJ

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also remember- you can always trade off a coral you're no longer interested in. Especially if it's a leather, like CJ is saying, with the chemical problems they can produce, you can start with one, and 4-6 months down the road when you're ready for SPS, trade it to someone locally who's just starting out. It's a great way of getting something to cut your teeth on, then moving on and helping out a new reefer in turn.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know with the chemicals. That is what I thought. I will be running carbon, do you think that would be an issue? Should I just stick with frogspawn?

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know with the chemicals. That is what I thought. I will be running carbon, do you think that would be an issue? Should I just stick with frogspawn?

as long as you run carbon, the chemicals shouldn't be an issue- that said, if you don't really care for leathers, don't buy one! No reason to care for something that you don't have any interest in. With a decent setup, you can jump straigh to a hardier LPS like the froggy's

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back