Best Fish Ever and Favorite Fish Ever: Are they different?

Are you currently housing your most favorite fish ever?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 157 31.5%
  • No

Votes: 329 66.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 12 2.4%

• Total voters

STXReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have had is a small nano. But I loved my wheeler’s goby. He stuck in his little cave but would always venture out and stare right back at me. He’d also grab a mouth full of sand, take it to the very top of the rock work and sift it through his gills. He was real distracting on my desk. Ha

Attachments

• 767BC56F-F6D2-4018-ACD0-FCDF6D6CBC96.jpeg
    767BC56F-F6D2-4018-ACD0-FCDF6D6CBC96.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 61

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish. I have a great group of different ones. They all have their different place in the tank. Yet they all get together quite nicely. It's just neat to see how they all find their place and coexist.

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Fishy Friday!

We all have those fish that we really love for various reasons. They have great personalities or they benefit the tank in such a way that they are just a pleasure to own. But if you had to pick one fish, that you've owned, that was your favorite and one that was the best which ones would it be? Let's talk about it!

1. What's the BEST fish you've ever owned and why?
My is a Tierra and pinneatus batfish. I raised a Tierra from 2” to about 14” my pinneatus f try I’m around 2” to about 6-8” haven’t seen either of these for sale in years but could not keep them now tank is too small

2. What's the most FAVORITE fish you've ever owned and why?
Terra batfish would eat out of my hand
Photos are a PLUS!

image via @BeakerBob
RedspottedBlenny-DSCF1354-7acopy.jpg

Jpconer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My all time favorite fish would be the 3 Pine Cone fish I had in the early 80's in what was possibly my all time favorite tank - a 135g that was set up as the headboard to my bed - I wish I had pics but myself and others remember it....there's probably 2 "best fish" for me...1 is the cleaner wrasse in my 450g he's been doing his job for several years now am a bit surprised I don't see/read more discussions on the benefits of keeping one...the other best fish I've had was a French angel from 1989 to 1999...what made him the best was that I had sold it to it's original owner in 1979 when was 16 and working at my 1st real job at a local fish
store.

DStaelens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Copperband Butterfly fish is my favorite, had this one around 5 years. Eats out of my fingers and picks at the hairs on my arm while I clean the tank.

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has to be my Copperband Butterfly fish! Here are the reasons:
* Color - Beautiful mix of colors and the orange band going through his eye is next level!!
* Devours Aptasia (Only true solution I’ve found to control Aptasia in DT. Have literally tried everything)
* Personality - Tons of it and loves to greet me and eat white worms I culture especially for him

Attachments

• 23D1410E-DC0E-488F-A59E-24A28AA13166.jpeg
    23D1410E-DC0E-488F-A59E-24A28AA13166.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 39

Techno10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Yellow tang I’ve had for 15 years. Likes to be petted on his side and accordingly to the LFS he’s gone up in vale to $450.00.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite fish wasn't a SW fish, but all of these stories (and a couple of beers) got me waxing nostalgic, so I thought I'd share.

My favorite fish was a chocolate cichlid named Rocco. Truly a gentle giant (He got to be about 14"). He was without a doubt the smartest, most affectionate, laid back fish I've ever had. He loved to be petted. He would swim circles around my hand, rubbing against my hand and even sit in my palm.

He never showed any aggression even though he lived with fish he could gobble up in one bite. His only utilitarian value was as peacekeeper. When a squabble erupted in the tank, he would casually place himself between the offenders and just hang out.

True story: When I decided to move several kuhli loaches to another tank, they hid underneath him and he protected them. I had to physically move him with my hand, and when he moved, they just hid under him again. This went on FOREVER.

You know, we all love our fish. But once in a while, one becomes a member of the family like a beloved dog. Rocco was one of those. Man, I miss that fish!

kzitzman1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 that are so full of personality

1. Tanaka's pygmy wrasse. Love the secretive way he swims and cruises the rocks.
20210226_150724.jpg

2. My blue spotted jaw fish is hilarious to watch him watching you. He is very aware of his surroundings.
20210226_144323.jpg
We totally agree about the blue spotted jaw fish. They have such a great personality and are always watching and curious. Ours is a favorite of our whole family

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Favorite fish ever was a porcupine puffer. I'd put my hand in the tank and it would swim up and rub it's head on my palm. Such personality. Sadly none more for me as I keep a variety of inverts now that are expensive snacks for the puffer.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favourite fish happens to the then best I ever kept and luckily still keep in my tank.
They're not easy to find in this region and so tricky to introduce and get to settle notnto mention how prone to disease they are. I luckily scored a good specimen after around 10 years of trying and he's still in the tank. I'm lucky he's not aggressive to the other tangs.

20210227_102723.jpg

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a no from me unfortunately. Personally I just love the Copperband, such a beautiful fish and bags of personality but after losing one after 2 months and many other unsuccessful stories I feel it's irresponsible to try again

TidePod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want a flame hawkfish but they dint come into South Africa very often. But I guess that's what keeps the hobby attractive.
They are the best! I love mine, I've heard they will kill your clean up crew but haven't had any issues so far owning him.

Back