Best fish for 55 gal that stay up at night

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, im looking to get a interactive fish that doesn't have to stay out all night, but one that will stay up so i can have some nightlife in the tank, as all of my fish go away for the night

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any fish that are active at night personally, but if you want some corals that come out at night, check out some NPS such as Tubastraea.

20221009_213900.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try feeding/training your current school. Mine are chronically underfed, or maybe just trained to beg by rewardings them when I see them and they will all jump up for a midnight snack, now and again.

Good Night Star GIF by pikaole

Blake509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I feel in home aquarium they have less need to hunt at night with us feeding during day

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, im looking to get a interactive fish that doesn't have to stay out all night, but one that will stay up so i can have some nightlife in the tank, as all of my fish go away for the night
Cardinals
Clowns
Squirrelfish
Some eels

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I feel in home aquarium they have less need to hunt at night with us feeding during day
Yeah, this is the problem you're most likely going to run into with nocturnal animals in aquariums - they're trained to feed during the day, even if they're nocturnal in the wild. If they don't eat during the day (when pretty much every aquarist feeds their fish), they'd starve. So, to get your fish acting nocturnal like they would in the wild, you'll likely have to start feeding them at night and readjust them to that nocturnal cycle rather than the diurnal cycle they've become accustomed to (autofeeders may be convenient for this).

I've heard that High-Hat fish are also nocturnal (as are flashlight fish and pinecone fish, but these require special care and colder water).

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any fish that are active at night personally, but if you want some corals that come out at night, check out some NPS such as Tubastraea.

20221009_213900.jpg
i dose with copper and dont have a strong enough light for corals (found out the hard way lol)

Blake509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do get big for that tank but aren't as active swimmers and that is the smallest recommend tank size also

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My spotband butterflyfish and striped squirrelfish are always swimming around their (dark) tank late at night. The squirrelfish grows too big (and is too active) for a 55g, though.

What about the mysterious, ich-prone pineapple fish? It's nocturnal, and, according to Wikipedia, "popular with saltwater fish aquarists". On Mars, apparently, as I've never seen one offered for sale.

OP
OP
J

joeman829

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My spotband butterflyfish and striped squirrelfish are always swimming around their (dark) tank late at night. The squirrelfish grows too big (and is too active) for a 55g, though.

What about the mysterious, ich-prone pineapple fish? It's nocturnal, and, according to Wikipedia, "popular with saltwater fish aquarists". On Mars, apparently, as I've never seen one offered for sale.
Yeah I googled some stuff and the pu apple fish popped up and I had never heard of it lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back