Best fish for my Red Sea 170..?

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'm finally almost done moving my reef into my new red sea 170. Right now I have 2 clowns and 2 cromies which were in my Nuvo 40... I kinda want a Midas Blenny and a Jawfish.. I have a semi deep sandbed..

I want fish that can keep the tank nice and clean/get along

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in terms of keeping clean get a Ctenochaetus tang and a yellow spot foxface for algae. And a wrasse like a yellow wrasse, Melanarus, 6 line or (not as advisable) a springers damsel for pest control. Aiptasia eating filefish have a good personality and may eat aiptasia and copperband butterfly’s can do the same but sometimes will only eat aiptasia and have to weaned onto prepared foods.

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of just cool fish I like the yasha goby, mandarin dragonet (need a good pod population), leopard wrasses, anthias (rare ones are show stoppers).

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in terms of keeping clean get a Ctenochaetus tang and a yellow spot foxface for algae. And a wrasse like a yellow wrasse, Melanarus, 6 line or (not as advisable) a springers damsel for pest control. Aiptasia eating filefish have a good personality and may eat aiptasia and copperband butterfly’s can do the same but sometimes will only eat aiptasia and have to weaned onto prepared foods.

I believe my tank is too small for a tang

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sry lol forgot, you could get smaller ones too if you want. Drews Lagoon had one in a 25 gallon lagoon. Or another utilitarian fish (no guarantees with some of the species) are blennys and some eat algae.

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is getting fish you like and keeping aquarium clean using nopox and even flux if it goes too out of hand. Nothing keeps the aquarium cleaner than these additives.

Fish barely does anything with "keeping clean"

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just tryna list off some utilitarian fish that wouldn’t do much just control a problem but help and also be colorful. Totally agree with you though

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about pretty fish that are safe and good tankmates. I’m really leaning on a Jawfish and Midas

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back