Best food for NO3 and PO4

Dasidius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys I'm looking for some advice on the best food to feed to help keep nitrates and phosphates down. I stopped using flake because I heard it was the worst. I alternate between frozen and pellets to keep a little variety in the tank. Which food is better frozen or pellets?

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't know which food is best - but I've heard that thawing the frozen food and then straining it through a net or something to remove the liquid will help a bit.

OP
OP
Dasidius

Dasidius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm thats interesting... I usually add some tank water it to help me disperse it.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a question that is difficult to answer as No3 and Po4 is created in different ways.
No3 primarily comes from your ammonia source as the end result of the nitrogen cycle.
Po4 primarily comes from preservatives in foods.
So both frozen and flake contributes to No3 and Po4
I use frozen prepared foods to keep my Po4 up while feeding flake 3 times a day for my No3

If you are curious to see Po4 amounts there is a simple way to see this using a Po4 test kit.
Mix your food as normal and substitute 1ml of the 17ml (red sea) and perfom the Po4 test. You will see the level of Po4 being added.
So to help keep a tank lower in the No3 and Po4 simply comes down to removal of any waste or excess uneaten food.
Bottom line is that there is NO foods that help keep these levels down.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nopox and calcium nitrate is probably the best combo to combat the waste you seek to eliminate.
Almost 10 years into the hobby and I've not found a better combo that's as simple. (I've tried a lot)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its about using the nutrints up or exporting the excess. and not putting too much in.
imo feed the fish and coral healthy food in reasonable amounts. plan a way to export or remove the excess, food or broken down into root nutrints.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back