Best Foods to Use in Order to Raise Nitrates and Phosphates "Naturally"

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I know the title is a little confusing so let me explain what I'm trying to do. I have a coral/invert nano and my nitrates and phosphates are a little on the low side due to not having to feed fish and think if I raised my nutrients a little it might help out with some coral growth...But I'm not a fan of simply adding nutrients from "inorganic" sources such as ghost feeding pellets after reading a scientific report which found inorganic nutrient sources led to a more imbalanced microbiome vs. nutrients from natural sources such as DOM being cycled through the ecosystem. I'm also a fan of carbon dosing to boost bacterioplankton production which is another reason I need to raise my nutrient levels and find a balance. So what I'm trying to ask is what method of adding nutrients would most closely emulate natural reefs? Oh, meant to mention that I just bought two small clowns for the tank today but they're pretty small and probably won't contribute to much nutrient accumulation.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just use one of the many sources of artificial N and P? Seachems, ati and tropic marine sell good quality nitrogen and phosphorus to fit any requirements in those areas.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just use one of the many sources of artificial N and P?
I know not everyone thinks like me but I put a lot of effort into doing all I can to emulate the microbiome of natural reefs and through my reading natural sources really do have a positive effect on the microbial life in many ways

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know not everyone thinks like me but I put a lot of effort into doing all I can to emulate the microbiome of natural reefs and through my reading natural sources really do have a positive effect on the microbial life in many ways
The ones I’ve mentioned are the most natural ways you can use to replace DOM Nitrogen is the first stage of the nitrogen cycle and phosphorus will become phosphates. Not sure what other ways you could use to replace them.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I’ve mentioned are the most natural ways you can use to replace DOM Nitrogen is the first stage of the nitrogen cycle and phosphorus will become phosphates. Not sure what other ways you could use to replace them.
On a natural reef DOM and DOC are released by organisms and they actually do differ from inorganic nutrients. It actually does shift the surface attached and planktonic microbial community when inorganic sources of nutrients are utilized....I was thinking maybe someone was aware of some type of macroalgae or similar organism that would aid the cycle

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you link the "scientific report" you mentioned? I am curious about it because I typically scrutinize papers about wild marine systems being applied to captive marine systems, and I am doubting it matters what source you use.

Regardless, spirulina powder is an easy way to raise phosphates. As for nitrates, amino acids work as they don't contain any phosphorus. I hesitate to say something is more "natural" than another method, so I am not sure if I am answering the question with this.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you consider fish food "inorganic?" Food is organic matter
You can say that about literally anything that has ever been alive as well...
Screenshot_2022-06-13-03-27-06-255_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a natural reef DOM and DOC are released by organisms and they actually do differ from inorganic nutrients. It actually does shift the surface attached and planktonic microbial community when inorganic sources of nutrients are utilized....I was thinking maybe someone was aware of some type of macroalgae or similar organism that would aid the cycle
Am still not understanding, to my knowledge after you feed brine shrimp that is organic matter the first process that happens is the release of ammonia, no bacteria is needed for this process it’s a natural occurrence of the decomposition of organic matter, the rest of the decomposition is made by heterotrophs that breaks down organic matter into dissolved organic carbon that is utilised by other heterotrophs. just not understanding what you trying to achieve, it is possible to produce organic carbon from several species of algaes the process is probably not worth it if you just going to use it to feed the bacteria in a tank temporarily it’s used in the manufacturing of purple non-sulfer bacteria (pns)

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am still not understanding, to my knowledge after you feed brine shrimp that is organic matter the first process that happens is the release of ammonia, no bacteria is needed for this process it’s a natural occurrence of the decomposition of organic matter, the rest of the decomposition is made by heterotrophs that breaks down organic matter into dissolved organic carbon that is utilised by other heterotrophs. just not understanding what you trying to achieve, it is possible to produce organic carbon from several species of algaes the process is probably not worth it if you just going to use it to feed the bacteria in a tank temporarily it’s used in the manufacturing of purple non-sulfer bacteria (pns)
Yeah, this is the kind of feedback I was hoping for...I was also considering dosing a little extra live Phyto as it will also convert into nitrates and phosphates eventually

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also thinking about culturing Grindal worms again for the fish and those who got away would feed the CUC so I'd basically be feeding the whole tank at once while simultaneously raising nutrients

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, this is the kind of feedback I was hoping for...I was also considering dosing a little extra live Phyto as it will also convert into nitrates and phosphates eventually
With live phytoplankton there is a catch, live phytoplankton culture brine is supercharged with artificial nitrates and phosphates if you looking for a more natural form of phytoplankton you may want to research freeze dried Phytoplankton that is normally produced using only sea water, the demineralisation process of freeze dried is much superior although you may find that that process is mainly rich in organic carbon the nitrogen and phosphorus content is quite small in comparison.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With live phytoplankton there is a catch, live phytoplankton culture brine is supercharged with artificial nitrates and phosphates if you looking for a more natural form of phytoplankton you may want to research freeze dried Phytoplankton that is normally produced using only sea water, the demineralisation process of freeze dried is much superior although you may find that that process is mainly rich in organic carbon the nitrogen and phosphorus content is quite small in comparison.
I'll have to do my research in that case...thanks for giving me a heads up!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Foods such as reef roids will elevate phosphates. Also keeping the tank free of debris will seep phosphate into the water. This also reduces the need for frequent water changes. Too much organic waste and overuse of Activated Carbon is often the culprit for high phosphate levels in an aquarium. Potassium nitrate will also raise nitrate levels as well as gradual increases with feeding.
Reducing water changes will for sure allow both to rise

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to do my research in that case...thanks for giving me a heads up!
You may want to search the content of the f2 fertiliser also, all those elements will be entertaining your reef with the brine water from the culture, and some could be detrimental if added in excess imo

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to search the content of the f2 fertiliser also, all those elements will be entertaining your reef with the brine water from the culture, and some could be detrimental if added in excess imo
Maybe Phyto isn't such a great idea then

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rule of thumb for food and nutrients...

Dry is higher in phosphate impact
Wet/Frozen higher in nitrate impact

I have successfully maintained my levels by adjusting feedings.

However, I do use it in combo with carbon dosing (Vinegar/Vodka)

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rule of thumb for food and nutrients...

Dry is higher in phosphate impact
Wet/Frozen higher in nitrate impact

I have successfully maintained my levels by adjusting feedings.

However, I do use it in combo with carbon dosing (Vinegar/Vodka)
I'll definitely remember that because I carbon dose as well

Back