Best Foods to Use in Order to Raise Nitrates and Phosphates "Naturally"

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll definitely remember that because I carbon dose as well
I generally am able to keep my levels NO3 < 7ppm and PO4 < 0.08ppm.

Also note that this is a tank in its 2nd year...so mature enough but not yet old. Tank maturity plays a big role in stability.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally am able to keep my levels NO3 < 7ppm and PO4 < 0.08ppm.

Also note that this is a tank in its 2nd year...so mature enough but not yet old. Tank maturity plays a big role in stability.
That's what I've come to understand...it's going to be a little extra difficult to start since it's a coral/invert only tank right now (got two clowns today)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can say that about literally anything that has ever been alive as well...
Screenshot_2022-06-13-03-27-06-255_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Ok I understand. You are refering to the common lingo of "organic" and not the scientific term that I am using for organic. That website is also not a very good source for any information regarding physiology, so I would caution you to avoid quick google results when it comes to anything regarding dietary physiology related questions as the vast number of "health" websites really have no clue what they are talking about. This isn't unique to that field, as there is a plague of bad "pop sci" scientific reporting of biological fields. However, food science is very plagued by this and this is worsened by the amount of money certain companies make from "results" that agree with their profit motives. Usually these kinds of papers are hard to scrutinize if you are not in that field, thus making pop sci reporting easy to be flawed.

While the whole idea of "organic" food being better for you is a marketing myth (due to the fact that "better" can mean a million things), it does not matter in this hobby. Bacteria are not susceptible to marketing terms. They are not putting pesticides in fish pellets, so don't worry about that. If we are talking purely about energy gained, its arguable that "processed" food for fish is going to provide them with more energy than raw whole matter that has not been "softened." The less work an organism needs to break down food, the more energy they gain from it. But again, this doesn't really matter for the question at hand, as bacteria are a whole different ball game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I understand. You are refering to the common lingo of "organic" and not the scientific term that I am using for organic. That website is also not a very good source for any information regarding physiology, so I would caution you to avoid quick google results when it comes to anything regarding dietary physiology related questions as the vast number of "health" websites really have no clue what they are talking about. This isn't unique to that field, as there is a plague of bad "pop sci" scientific reporting of biological fields. However, food science is very plagued by this and this is worsened by the amount of money certain companies make from "results" that agree with their profit motives. Usually these kinds of papers are hard to scrutinize if you are not in that field, thus making pop sci reporting easy to be flawed.

While the whole idea of "organic" food being better for you is a marketing myth (due to the fact that "better" can mean a million things), it does not matter in this hobby. Bacteria are not susceptible to marketing terms. They are not putting pesticides in fish pellets, so don't worry about that. If we are talking purely about energy gained, its arguable that "processed" food for fish is going to provide them with more enegery than raw whole matter that has not been "softened." The less work an organism needs to break down food, the more energy they gain from it. But again, this doesn't really matter for the question at hand, as bacteria are a whole different ball game.
Most of what you state here is 100% true.

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live purple non-sulfur bacteria could do the trick, and in the right way. The product you'd be looking to use specifically would be PNS Substrate Sauce. Because it's more or less intended is as a cycling product, it has extra phosphate in it (to raise concentration by around 0.05 at full dose). https://www.hydrospace.store/post/using-pns-substrate-sauce

More interestingly, the two species in this product are diazotrophs (nitrogen fixers). So, when NH4/NO3 levels get really low, they convert N gas into NH4 (basically the opposite of denitrification, which they are also capable of). These bacteria (Rhodopseudomonas in particular) are known to live in corals symbiotically in the wild and support zooxanthellae health by supplying NH4 in times of scarcity (NH4 is zooxanthellae's favored form of nitrogen, by the way, not NO3). https://www.hydrospace.store/post/d...mportant-article-you-ll-ever-read-about-coral

The bacteria themselves are extremely nutritious, being rich in protein, B vitamins and carotenoids.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live purple non-sulfur bacteria could do the trick, and in the right way. The product you'd be looking to use specifically would be PNS Substrate Sauce. Because it's more or less intended is as a cycling product, it has extra phosphate in it (to raise concentration by around 0.05 at full dose). https://www.hydrospace.store/post/using-pns-substrate-sauce

More interestingly, the two species in this product are diazotrophs (nitrogen fixers). So, when NH4/NO3 levels get really low, they convert N gas into NH4 (basically the opposite of denitrification, which they are also capable of). These bacteria (Rhodopseudomonas in particular) are known to live in corals symbiotically in the wild and support zooxanthellae health by supplying NH4 in times of scarcity (NH4 is zooxanthellae's favored form of nitrogen, by the way, not NO3). https://www.hydrospace.store/post/d...mportant-article-you-ll-ever-read-about-coral

The bacteria themselves are extremely nutritious, being rich in protein, B vitamins and carotenoids.
Sounds like a good product but I'm overseas so it's ridiculously expensive...I do however have a product called Tropic Marin Nitribiotic which is similar though... really great product! Btw, thanks for the helpful reply!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are they ever visible by eye in the tank when dosed?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they ever visible by eye in the tank when dosed?
Not individual cells of course (they're only a couple microns long). But the suspension does have a distinctive color to it due to the carotenoids they produce. You can also identify them in biofilms that build up a couple centimeters beneath the sand bed (against the glass) if they establish themselves in the substrate--kind of like in a Winogradsky column.

3 species.JPG

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got access to the microbiology lab at a major university here and I was actually considering culturing certain bacterial strains after collecting them from the ocean and identifying them!

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

More interestingly, the two species in this product are diazotrophs (nitrogen fixers). So, when NH4/NO3 levels get really low, they convert N gas into NH4 (basically the opposite of denitrification, which they are also capable of). These bacteria (Rhodopseudomonas in particular) are known to live in corals symbiotically in the wild and support zooxanthellae health by supplying NH4 in times of scarcity (NH4 is zooxanthellae's favored form of nitrogen, by the way, not NO3). https://www.hydrospace.store/post/diazotrophic-bacteria-in-the-reef-aquarium-the-most-important-article-you-ll-
Not individual cells of course (they're only a couple microns long). But the suspension does have a distinctive color to it due to the carotenoids they produce. You can also identify them in biofilms that build up a couple centimeters beneath the sand bed (against the glass) if they establish themselves in the substrate--kind of like in a Winogradsky column.

3 species.JPG
Witch one you feeding your dendro?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to the Dendronephthya?

Rhodopseudomonas (PNS ProBio).
Yes, how long have you got it going now feeding it PNS ProBio, I’ve seen the interview with Scott Anderson, couldn’t remember what you were feeding thanks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back