Best Foods to Use in Order to Raise Nitrates and Phosphates "Naturally"

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, how long have you got it going now feeding it PNS ProBio, I’ve seen the interview with Scott Anderson, couldn’t remember what you were feeding thanks.
About 6 months, before I accidentally crashed the tank rushing a water change. Even killed all the pineapple sponges LOL. Too bad, the dendro was doing quite well. Dumb thing is that the system was running fine without the water change anyway, should've just left it alone (common story in this hobby, it seems :face-with-tears-of-joy:).

I'd add though that I've been keeping a Nephthyigorgia for well over a year now (15 months?) in a completely filterless system feeding essentially the same thing (ProBio and YelloSno, and very occasional phyto).

IMG_2126.JPG

Last edited:

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not individual cells of course (they're only a couple microns long). But the suspension does have a distinctive color to it due to the carotenoids they produce. You can also identify them in biofilms that build up a couple centimeters beneath the sand bed (against the glass) if they establish themselves in the substrate--kind of like in a Winogradsky column.

3 species.JPG
Do you mean like this I can see all 3 colours in my substrate.
70127D01-E28C-4238-A64D-233690CCAFED.jpeg
4423D2E1-6264-4FF5-9F93-BA14F53BA302.jpeg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 6 months, before I accidentally crashed the tank rushing a water change. Even killed all the pineapple sponges LOL. Too bad, the dendro was doing quite well. Dumb thing is that the system was running fine without the water change anyway, should've just left it alone (common story in this hobby, it seems :face-with-tears-of-joy:).

I'd add though that I've been keeping a Nephthyigorgia for well over a year now (15 months?) in a completely filterless system feeding essentially the same thing (ProBio and YelloSno, and very occasional phyto).

IMG_2126.JPG
I find that you feeding bacteria interesting read many articles that point this way specifically the dendronephtya as they are notoriously hardier to keep will have to look into some yellow snow to add to mines diet.
I also agree that not having mechanical filtration in a NPS system will be beneficial to keep food in suspense I have done the same to mine although I’ve used a under gravel system to aid the biological filtration.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Maybe! Check this out (photo not mine, Lizah van der Aart).
Thank you for the chart I’m finding interesting that we can determine the bacteria in the system based on the biofilm colour will have to find additional literature on the subject now to satisfy my curiosity.

thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not individual cells of course (they're only a couple microns long). But the suspension does have a distinctive color to it due to the carotenoids they produce. You can also identify them in biofilms that build up a couple centimeters beneath the sand bed (against the glass) if they establish themselves in the substrate--kind of like in a Winogradsky column.

3 species.JPG

Thanks!

Redhool7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from greece!
I feed my reef tank with ocean nutrition flakes and ocean nutrition frozen ...

I want to feed my tank with marine food that is rich in phosphates and very poor in nitrates!
What food would you suggest me?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from greece!

I want to feed my tank with marine food that is rich in phosphates and very poor in nitrates!

That won’t be a very nutritious food because N is an integral part of protein. Thus, a very low N food will be a low protein food.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from greece!

Dry food generslly has higher amounts of phosphate than wet/frozen, but is not low in Nitrate.

Redhool7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 360 liter aquarium that has been running for 2 years. My measurements are no3 25 and po4 0.03-0.1...

I have refugium in my sump,...nyos 160 for skimmer...T5 6×54...2 X gyre xf 250 in pulse mode...

,my problem is that I can't reduce the nitrates!!!

,Any ideas to solve the nitrate problem would be what I need most!

Last edited:

Redhool7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 360 liter aquarium that has been running for 2 years. My measurements are no3 25 and po4 0.03-0.1...

I have refugium in my sump,...nyos 160 for skimmer...T5 6×54...2 X gyre xf 250 in pulse mode...

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know not everyone thinks like me but I put a lot of effort into doing all I can to emulate the microbiome of natural reefs and through my reading natural sources really do have a positive effect on the microbial life in many ways
I take the same approach and why I just overfeed and don't worry about nitrates or phosphates. Goal is bottom both out yet know that because I overfeed there's always a source of all nutrients.

Hobby has become fixated on N & P yet plants and algae prefer ammonium which they get by converting nitrates to nitrites then down to ammonium.

As for which foods. That I don't know. All foods have nitrogen and phosphates. All life has both. Although frozen I've read has less phosphates and I stopped feeding that at the moment because it's inconvenient.

I'm running a test tank to force issues so I can see how to resolve and can't speak to how this affects corals but supposedly bottoming out N & P leads to issues of which I'm not encountering since going back to overfeeding. System running fine but ph a problem. Keep it natural and simple.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take the same approach and why I just overfeed and don't worry about nitrates or phosphates. Goal is bottom both out yet know that because I overfeed there's always a source of all nutrients.

Hobby has become fixated on N & P yet plants and algae prefer ammonium which they get by converting nitrates to nitrites then down to ammonium.

As for which foods. That I don't know. All foods have nitrogen and phosphates. All life has both. Although frozen I've read has less phosphates and I stopped feeding that at the moment because it's inconvenient.

I'm running a test tank to force issues so I can see how to resolve and can't speak to how this affects corals but supposedly bottoming out N & P leads to issues of which I'm not encountering since going back to overfeeding. System running fine but ph a problem. Keep it natural and simple.
I'd be very interested in hearing about your test tank research when you've had time to observe the effects!

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Carbon dosing works very well for me at reducing Nitrate...

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be very interested in hearing about your test tank research when you've had time to observe the effects!
Need to put a thread together. Not sure if a Build or Experiment thread. Probably get more exposure under Build and probably will go there.

Will say this. Constantly push my nitrates and phosphates to 160 ppm plus and 2 ppm plus, respectively. With just carbon dosing I bottom my nitrates out and phosphates under 0.25 ppm. API limitations but I don't care because I'm not keeping sticks at the moment and presence or absence my main objective. Mad precision not my intent. Key is to overdose carbon and overfeed. Seems nature finds a way. Has long before we discovered such a thing as N & P.

Have had all types of algae and cyano as well as diatoms to start but no dinos. Now all that's left is some turf algae but only directly under my light. Seems to be receding but I'm tired of looking at white rocks and bought some purple fake rocks over the weekend plus going to a lower profile due to limitations on how my filter was designed.

Next phase of testing is sargassum under an XR15 Pro to see if it removes my co2 so I can grow coraline then add different corals and test these affects on them. Goal is play now so I can design my build accordingly. Just a 20H but no sump, no skimmer. No mechanical filtration other than occasionally for aesthetic reasons. Run it extremely dirty yet parameters as if ran traditionally. KISS

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back