Best freeze dried food for Auto feeder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed assortment of fish: Flame angel, damsel, pair of clowns, royal gramma, 6 line, pair of Bangii, Ruby dragonet, clown goby, shrimp goby, and diamond goby.

The smaller clown goby and Ruby dragonet seem to it eat pods.

I really don't want to feed frozen and everything else eats new life spectrum.

What can I add to my Avast auto feeder to vary diet and also feed my picky/pod eaters.*

I have plenty pods at the moment but the 6 line and flame angel eat them heavily and I'm worried about compitition.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed assortment of fish: Flame angel, damsel, pair of clowns, royal gramma, 6 line, pair of Bangii, Ruby dragonet, clown goby, shrimp goby, and diamond goby.

What can I add to my Avast auto feeder to vary diet and also feed my picky/pod eaters.*

I have plenty pods at the moment but the 6 line and flame angel eat them heavily and I'm worried about compitition.
Avast’s own Reef Jerky is fantastic. My tank loves it.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a mix of TDO Chromaboost, NLS Marine Pellets and Two Little Fishes mixed seaweed flakes in my auto feeder. The flakes are actual small seaweed pieces, so not sure anything in your tank besides the Flame Angel will go for those. I have a Foxface and a Kole Tang that enjoy the seaweed...

I can absolutely recommend the small TDO pellets. They are the same size as the 1mm NLS pellets and work well in a feeder with them. They are also the most palatable pellet food I have ever fed, and I have tried them all at one point or another. Everything in my tank goes crazy for them....

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used reef jerky as well as I purchased a bunch of the different ingredients at BRS (like dried copepods, etc) and made up my own mix. I've also added TDO pellets to that same mix. Seems to work well!

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PM me your address and I will send you a free can of Reef Jerky! https://www.avastmarine.com/collections/avast-built/products/reef-jerky

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Reef Jerky.

First impressions.
1. Fish love it, I manually fed for the first time yesterday. Hopefully I have a minute to set up my auto feeder that I bought and received last Dec.

2. I hate it, it tastes nothing like Oberto, Jack link's, or any other Jerky I've ever had.

3. The smallest particles do float a bit so let soak a little before feeding. I'm almost positive the built in pump with the Avast feeder will take care of that.

4. I think my clown goby are some yesterday, I haven't seen that fish eat since I added it a month ago. (It's eating pods I'm sure as it's not gotten skinny) and I'm 90% sure my Ruby Dragonet, who has shown no interest in frozen or pellets ate some.

I'll try and get video next time they're out in the front of the tank when I feed.

20211104_161932.jpg

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just use pellet? My fish never liked freezer dried.
PM me your address and I will send you a can of Reef Jerky and you can give freeze dried another shot, maybe your fish will like our version a little better :)

Last edited:

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Reef Jerky.

First impressions.
1. Fish love it, I manually fed for the first time yesterday. Hopefully I have a minute to set up my auto feeder that I bought and received last Dec.
It only takes a few minutes to set up! If you need a timer, use the WiFi gosund module off amazon for like $15. There's a video on how to set it up (sorry about the bad sound quality) here. Coming soon: instructions for integrating with Alexa voice commands.
2. I hate it, it tastes nothing like Oberto, Jack link's, or any other Jerky I've ever had.
Try adding some cayenne.
3. The smallest particles do float a bit so let soak a little before feeding. I'm almost positive the built in pump with the Avast feeder will take care of that.

4. I think my clown goby are some yesterday, I haven't seen that fish eat since I added it a month ago. (It's eating pods I'm sure as it's not gotten skinny) and I'm 90% sure my Ruby Dragonet, who has shown no interest in frozen or pellets ate some.

I'll try and get video next time they're out in the front of the tank when I feed.

20211104_161932.jpg
Save that can! They are destined to be collector's items. We haven't been able to get them for months.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only takes a few minutes to set up! If you need a timer, use the WiFi gosund module off amazon for like $15. There's a video on how to set it up (sorry about the bad sound quality) here. Coming soon: instructions for integrating with Alexa voice commands.

Try adding some cayenne.

Save that can! They are destined to be collector's items. We haven't been able to get them for months.
Save some to send me when i win the feeder and food in the partner giveaway!! Put a bunch of tickets trying to win that one. Hopefully everyone else spends there tickets on the big pricey items and i got a chance at that darn feeder i been wanting awhile!

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can confirm my clown goby, which I hadn't seen eat since I added it, absolutely eats the reef Jerky. Jury is still out on the Ruby dragonet. Everything else goes nuts for the stuff. I do mix NLS in with the jerky and both get consumed.

Something I really love over the NLS pellets is that most of the stuff that fish miss in the chaos in feed time is small enough for my zoas to pull from the water column.

I still haven't set up the feeder yet.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can confirm my clown goby, which I hadn't seen eat since I added it, absolutely eats the reef Jerky. Jury is still out on the Ruby dragonet. Everything else goes nuts for the stuff. I do mix NLS in with the jerky and both get consumed.

Something I really love over the NLS pellets is that most of the stuff that fish miss in the chaos in feed time is small enough for my zoas to pull from the water column.

I still haven't set up the feeder yet.

Just send it to me i will set it up

robert.c.w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the first generation platform mount in there! I will send you the updated version no charge if you promise to get it installed!
I have been thinking of getting the auto feeder from Avast and using their Reef Jerky, but I am wondering how long the food lasts $70 for 5 oz seems quite expensive, but it all depends on how may fish it would feed and for how long. Seems like most people have a good experience with it, anyone seen any negatives?

Back