Best glass cleaning animal?

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I KNOW that this is just a part of the hobby and I should just deal with it, but I'm kind of tired of how much algae grows all over my glass throughout the week. I've got a 75 gallon with a few snails (need to add more but the snails I like to use are hard to find near me for some reason) a fox face and a tomini tang for algae control in a 75 gallon, but they just don't do a great job cleaning the glass. The tank is heavily stocked but I don't mind adding something since I plan to upgrade to a 120 or larger soon. What's something that would hang out on my glass and help keep it cleaned up so it doesn't get totally coated in algae a couple times a week? My nitrates and phosphates are low, my rock is totally clean, sand is taken care of by a sand sifting star, it's just the GLASS. If only there were a marine version of ottocinclus cat fish lol.

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A human with a flipper or magnafloat works best in my experience.
Yeah I've got a flipper. But I don't spend as much time in that part of the house anymore and can't move the tank yet to where I DO spend my time. So by the time I actually get over there to admire the tank instead of just feeding it gets pretty bad. Flipper is a gift from god though. I love it.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've got a flipper. But I don't spend as much time in that part of the house anymore and can't move the tank yet to where I DO spend my time. So by the time I actually get over there to admire the tank instead of just feeding it gets pretty bad. Flipper is a gift from god though. I love it.
I get it. I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to be a wise butt

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saltwater mollies. Constantly pecking at the glass to eat off film algae

OP
OP
C

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saltwater mollies. Constantly pecking at the glass to eat off film algae
I've got 5. I'm not the biggest fan of them as I find them kind of boring. And mine spend way more time picking at my sand than anything else (I have lots of spaghetti worms I can't get rid of and I'm sure not going to stop them doing population control) I was kind of hoping for some kind of starfish that's reef safe and not too difficult to care for. I was thinking maybe a formia or linckia but don't really know much about any stars other than the sand sifting star I have.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 5. I'm not the biggest fan of them as I find them kind of boring. And mine spend way more time picking at my sand than anything else (I have lots of spaghetti worms I can't get rid of and I'm sure not going to stop them doing population control) I was kind of hoping for some kind of starfish that's reef safe and not too difficult to care for. I was thinking maybe a formia or linckia but don't really know much about any stars other than the sand sifting star I have.
Your only option left is an algae scraper. Those stars don’t do good in our tank and slowly die

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really is no "animal" that's going to keep your glass clean enough where you don't need to scrape it off. I need to clean mine once or twice a week, so it's really not an issue to spend 5 minutes a week to keep the glass clean. Your flipper is your best and really only option in keeping your glass clean.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For me- Astrea and nerite snails

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the Formia stars used to have a very poor mortality rate .
most didn’t last long at all .
I’ve also read acclimating them can be tricky .
something to do with any exposure to air ?
Someone else can clarify or confirm if that’s wrong

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Those are also my number ones, especially nerite, but they are so dang hard to get at stores near me and I don't like ordering things like that online.
My LFS- 5 for $6 and plenty of them

s_spowart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a herd of Urchins, I think those long spined ones are meant to be ok if you dont mind a new hole in your finger every time you put your hand in the tank lol. The only thing that seems to work for me though is once a week I use a magnet scraper. Only takes 5 minutes. The snails often get in the way, but they dont pollish the glass clean enough to easily see through.
You could also try a uv steriliser as that will kill off free floating algae spores, and slow down the growth, although it wont affect what is already on the glass.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc has worked well for me.
I buy that, feed it to my spouse and she cleans the glass.
Mine used to love cleaning the glass. But it was a novelty once upon a time. Now she hates it. But she also tries to tell me what to put in the tanks, how to scape them, etc etc. but she won’t help pay or help clean. He guidance is largely ignored. Entirely ignored.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back