Best/healthiest online fish retailer.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be starting a fairly large fowlr in the late spring and wanted some personal opinions about your “go-to” online fish retailer in terms of healthiest fish you’ve received. Since I’ll be investing quite a bit in livestock, I’d like to mitigate my risks as much as i can.

P.S. This isn’t a QT debate thread.

Last edited:

MikeandDee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater fish.com. Liveaquaria.com.. both have good stock, healthy fish. I have only had one issue, fish DOA...took picture of the DOA fish and had credit back by the end of the day. Recommend these two

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best advice ,, at this point ,, don't even think about who to buy from vendors ,, none of them are going to sell you a healthy QT fish ,, none ,, nada ,, you will be taking a chance no matter who you use ,, spend your efforts on reading everything you can on setting up a QT system and how to treat the fish you will be buying ,, buying fish is the easy part ,, getting them to a healthy state before going into your new system is the hard part ,,

The upside to setting up the QT system ,, after you know what you are doing with your fish ,, you can off set the cost by QT fish for other reefers in your area to recoup some of the $$$ spent ,, if you choose to do so ,, just a thought :)

Also ,, do a search on any vendor you are thinking of using in this Forum ,, see what others have to say about the vendor ,,

Last edited:

ChelseaBidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT is absolutely necessary in this hobby. No matter where you get your fish from. Trust me. We order ours from Saltwaterfish.com or LiveAquaria.com (we have received extremely sick fish from both and have also received extremely healthy fish from both)
LA - 2 clowns came with Brooklynella (died within 24 hours)
SWF - 1 Melanurus Wrasse came with Uronema a month ago (visible before we opened the bag - died within a few hours)
SWF - Yellow Tang and a Melanurus Wrasse with Uronema from our order last week (both visible in the bag - both died several hours later)
Had we not put them in our QT, our display could have been ruined. It doesn't matter where you get them, there's always a possibility of infections or parisites. Better to be safe than sorry.

ChelseaBidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best advice ,, at this point ,, don't even think about who to buy from vendors ,, none of them are going to sell you a healthy QT fish ,, none ,, nada ,, you will be taking a chance no matter who you use ,, spend your efforts on reading everything you can on setting up a QT system and how to treat the fish you will be buying ,, buying fish is the easy part ,, getting them to a healthy state before going into your new system is the hard part ,,

The upside to setting up the QT system ,, after you know what you are doing with your fish ,, you can off set the cost by QT fish for other reefers in your area to recoup some of the $$$ spent ,, if you choose to do so ,, just a thought :)

Also ,, do a search on any vendor you are thinking of using in this Forum ,, see what others have to say about the vendor ,,
^^^^This!!!!! Couldn't have said it any better!! Always QT. Nothing goes in my DT without being in both my QTs for at least 45 days.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought Fish From Live Aquaria & Vived Aquariums. Recieved DOAs from both but they each took care of it. LA doesn't give you a refund anymore, store credit only. I've been considering trying some of the vendors here on R2R, but some have outrageous shipping costs, so have to consider that.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feedback, but i was really looking for retailers and not QT debates. If you’d like suggestions on good QT debate threads, here’s one.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just there are no good vendors out there where you can buy a healthy fish from ,, I just lost a $250 Wrasse after only having it about a week ,, this fish came from one of the best online vendors ,, a R2R vendor ,, I only use the best vendors and have lost fish from everyone of them ,, so who could I recommend you buy your fish from ,, its a roll of the dice no matter who you use ,,

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tsm corals, @QuarantinedFish, @MarineCollectors sell healthy "pre quarantined" fish. I would still do a two week observation period with a Molly but these vendors are the real deal.

Do you have the link to quarantined fish? I can’t find them

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish
Quarantined Fish
Marine collectors

All the above provide 100% QTed specimens. However Humble is getting ready to move and isn’t taking orders at this time.

I have personally gotten fish from Humble and snails and fish from QF. All are doing great in my system and I’m very pleased with the service they provide. FYI, none of it’s cheap.. but worth it IMHO.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tsm corals, @QuarantinedFish, @MarineCollectors sell healthy "pre quarantined" fish. I would still do a two week observation period with a Molly but these vendors are the real deal.

Mike's a great guy! I've purchased several fish from him- healthy and clean!

I emailed quarantined fish and marine collectors. Is there one company that’s better than the other? What’s the typical markup for a fully QT fish?

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really don’t remember but it was totally worth it!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back