Best Heater for 120 gallon DT?

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, so I am upgrading tanks soon from a 65 gallon to 120 gallon DT, 160 gallon total system. Right now I am using just a standard aqueous heater, what would you say is the best heater for this type aquarium?

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep the head of the Eheim above the water line, it will usually last a long time, I think it is a mistake to put them under water as moisture is going to get through the seal. I would break it up into two 200-250W units

Dieing for a Drink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im really haveing a hard time figureing out what heaters i should get.at the moment i am about to get 200 pounds of Dryrock.."brewing"going to let it go for months adding pods,And Biodiversity the findly going to add 60 pounds of Tampa bay rock anyway i need a heater i can use to get my rock done then use in my 120(total gallons) in the future.Of course i will have an Apex(or some controller)and a rain bird as well.Every Heater i look at has BAD reviews.I was going to go with jager or a Brs...i cannot be killing fish.Please advise as to Brand and Wattage.Get 2 heaters,get controller,use a Brain..I hear you loud and clear.i have watched tons of vids and have searched. i keep my house at 66 in winter.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finnex titanium heating rod, coupled with an inkbird, or ranco. They are just heating tubes with no internal thermostat to go bad, they are just on, or off. You need to have an additional controller of some sort to turn them on and off.

I've used finnex heating rods for many years. Of course I always keep a spare handy, but my current finnex is going on 5 years old with 0 issues.

In 20 some odd years in the hobby, I have never had a finnex fail.

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run 2 finnex 300 W on my 135. I opted for the titianium finnex with controllers to no wear the sockets on my eb832. the apex shuts off power to the heaters if the temp exceeds my max setting.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W@hile the Helios does look nice, and from the description should work well. I would never pay $400 for a heater.
I thought the same thing but bought one for my new build and I really like it. It seems to be very well made and I like the fact you get the magnets/holders with it instead of just suction cups. I never thought I would pay $1500 for a tank or $800 for a light but I have so I figure why not splurge on a heater. I just won't be able to buy a torch for awhile.

Dieing for a Drink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys i just Dont think i could bounce back as it has taken 20 years and i still have dont have a tank running.my time is limited and i cant be leaveing my daughter a time bomb.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm currently using the Helios universal controller and a Schego (BRS) 300w titanium element and it's pretty solid. The temp is super steady at 77 degrees. I don't have my apex hooked up yet to monitor temp, but so far I'm really happy with the combo. I'll most likely get the 100w combo for my nano build.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a single 300w finnex on my 180g and a 200w on my 65g. I have no issues keeping or heating the 180. We keep our house at 68* year round and the tanks are at 78. I use a Inkbird for main control and my Apex as a safety backup.

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use 2-3 smaller heaters and just buy whatever you can afford to replace yearly. Every year throw them out and get new ones. Even the cheapest brands last a year, and using smaller ones means even if one fails on it won’t be able to overheat your tank.

for $40/year you don’t have to worry about it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back