Best heater for a pico/nano in winter?

Amandakayphoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am looking for some thoughts on the best heating options to consider for my fluval EVO V. I rescued the setup this spring, and it is in my work from home space. I live in Minnesota, and while that space is heated and insulated, it can have temperature swings come winter, so looking ahead to winter, want to a have a solid heater plan in place.

It came with an aqueon 50w and holds it right around 77.5 to 78

I purchased an inkbird ITC-306A so I can monitor and control two heaters if needed.

Thoughts? Add a second 50w to the display area for winter months? Increase to a larger wattage but just keep one heater? Tips on how to set up the inkbird for two heaters to ensure the tank stays warm but not too hot?

Worst case scenario I can bring the tank into my home where it will have more stability temp wise, but was hoping to keep the tank in the office.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure why you would need 2 heaters (except for redundancy). Most people seem to keep their summer temperature pretty close to their winter temperature (i.e. 72-76 degrees). One that I think most people would discourage would be to have 2 heaters set at the same temperature - constantly turning off and on fighting each other. To me - if you're worried about getting too cold in the winter - just buy a larger watt heater (maybe a 75) set at whatever temperature you want the tank. Then buy a second one set at a lower temperature - so that it only comes on when the other one fails/is not enough to keep the tank warm

Back