Best/helpful and worst things you've ever bought for your SPS tank?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...or for any reef tank for that matter.

I think one cardinal rule besides maintaining stability is keeping your hands out of your tank. What does this mean exactly? Keeping your hands out so to avoid touching corals or moving them? Keeping your hands out to keep your oils and whatever else you can transmit with your arms? Both? Well we all like to tinker, so I've found two things that really help with this and hopefully it'll help you guys if you want to keep your hands "out". All I can say is perhaps keeping my hands out of the tank has helped with my tank so far?

1) 18" baster like this:

this shoots water at stuff VERY well and I can blast everything literally without dipping my hands into the tank. This ties in with the worst thing i've bought for my tank. This baster is a life saver: it cleans the debris off my colonies and I can baste the rock work and sand as I want.
2) 25+" showa atlas gloves

These things literally keep your hands out, while they're in, it's a no brainer if you really HAVE to stick your hands in all the time.

Worst thing ever to buy for an SPS tank:
sand sifting goby. I hate the one I have left, and he's the sole reason why I had to buy the above. I know it's bad to think this, but I always hope my other fish out compete him for food. Sadly, he keeps up and I can't catch him!

Any other tips from you guys, (besides obvious equipment)?

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best- chiller. Worst- majano wand.

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best
Silicone turkey basters, ehiem grabber stick, thermal controller, and ati Sunpower.

Worst
Gfo/reactors, gyre pumps, air hydra 26 hd’s, Red Sea test kits, and sand.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back