Best hob filter?

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon freshwater tank and I’m trying to find a new hob filter but don’t know what’s best. If anyone could help that’d be great, thanks!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaclear has one for that size. Fluval c2 also works. I would just avoid anything where you have to replace cartridges because I find those to be wasteful.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on aquaclear. Has a good sized area for a custom media basket. Seachem Tidals are good imo, use one for my quarantine tank. Aquamaxx just came out with a new hob, but I am not sure what the flow rate is.

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Tidal 35...best HOB i have used, silent self priming and restarts every time..and you can put any media in you choose unlike many others that dictate to you their own design of filtration options

And adjustable flow to answer your above question :cool:

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on aquaclear. Has a good sized area for a custom media basket. Seachem Tidals are good imo, use one for my quarantine tank. Aquamaxx just came out with a new hob, but I am not sure what the flow rate is.
Is the smallest Seachem tidal good for a 10 gallon? Like it’s not too high if flow or anything?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaclear and its customizable if you needed to turn into a refugium.

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used both the aqua clear and seachem tidal. Both did the job. Benefit of seachem is it self primes, comes with matrix, and has a clip to hold your heater.

I’d probably go with seachem again but have no complaints with aqua clear too

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used both the aqua clear and seachem tidal. Both did the job. Benefit of seachem is it self primes, comes with matrix, and has a clip to hold your heater.

I’d probably go with seachem again but have no complaints with aqua clear too
Is the thing that sucks water in big enough to possibly suck in small fish? I’ve seen complaints on that

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only downside to the tidals is that the sponge ends up not catching anything and the biomedia bag catches it so if you will need to rinse the biomedia with some tank water frequently. However, a better sponge or mechanical filter can't be used without bypass.

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only downside to the tidals is that the sponge ends up not catching anything and the biomedia bag catches it so if you will need to rinse the biomedia with some tank water frequently. However, a better sponge or mechanical filter can't be used without bypass.
What if I throw in some filter floss with the biomedia?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I throw in some filter floss with the biomedia?

You just need to change it frequently. However, if you dial the flow down, this tends to lessen the bypass. A tank your size could get away with a dialed down speed.

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the thing that sucks water in big enough to possibly suck in small fish? I’ve seen complaints on that
Hmm I don’t have the filter with me now so hard to say. The smallest fish I had was a pair of clowns and those were never an issue.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back