Best ich prevention methods

Auburn866

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While treating new fish in QT, what do you all think is the best method to prevent ich from entering the DT other than the tank transfer method? I would prefer to just observe the fish in QT for a month but I've heard some fish can carry ich into the DT without showing symptoms. I've heard that some have been treating all new fish that do not show ich symptoms with half doses of Cupramine as it is less harmful/stressful on the fish. Would this be best or would a product like Rid Ich Plus, Mardel Quick Cure, etc be better?

AiKkz

Hard work beats talent every time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can observe, there’s a small chance your fish could be asymptomatic carriers. You could test with a black Molly which won’t have immunity to ich if you don’t mind keeping the molly.

I wouldn’t treat with subtherapeutic levels of any medication, it may suppress ich but won’t eradicate.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A half dose of cupramine will be your worst enemy. Either use fully therapeutic copper or none at all. Levels below therapeutic will likely end in frustration as the parasites would still cycle and be present but likely invisible.

You could add a black Molly during observation to "test" the water for parasites.

AiKkz

Hard work beats talent every time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can observe, there’s a small chance your fish could be asymptomatic carriers. You could test with a black Molly which won’t have immunity to ich if you don’t mind keeping the molly.

I wouldn’t treat with subtherapeutic levels of any medication, it may suppress ich but won’t eradicate.
A half dose of cupramine will be your worst enemy. Either use fully therapeutic copper or none at all. Levels below therapeutic will likely end in frustration as the parasites would still cycle and be present but likely invisible.

You could add a black Molly during observation to "test" the water for parasites.
I’ve heard of the black molly method, is it that accurate? I won’t stop using copper power because it’s a breeze and light years above cupramine. I’m just curious!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard of the black molly method, is it that accurate? I won’t stop using copper power because it’s a breeze and light years above cupramine. I’m just curious!
It is fairly accurate yes. As long as you use a FW Molly and slowly convert it to SW. It will have absolutely zero resistance to SW parasites.

I wouldn't use it as a sole method personally, but using them in a observation tank (post treatment) can provide some additional assurance especially if you are treating fish like Wrasse, clowns, etc that are naturally more resistant to parasites.

OP
OP
Auburn866

Auburn866

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies, I’ll pickup some Copper Power!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back