tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This started seemingly overnight.
One day all was fine, the next this
20191207_193900.jpg

No clue what it is or where it came from.
After just a day or two, the skin seemed to fall off and expose the flesh/muscle underneath.
Now, it looks like this
20191214_201808.jpg
20191214_202355.jpg

(Apologies for the dirty glass/bad pics)
Besides looking horrible, the fish shows no signs of distress, acting like normal, eating like a pig.
I've been adding Focus and Kanaplex to the frozen food.

Any idea what it is, or what caused it?
Best way to treat it?

Everyone else in the tank is fine, and no livestock of any sort has been added for quite a while ( at least 18 months, probably more)

TIA

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bath in Ruby Reef Rally for 60-90 minutes and then into a QT with NFG powder or the "Trifecta" of Metro + Kanaplex + Furan2 would be a good move before the infection damages the internal organs.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you give kanaplex orally?

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that is a sting from a coral? The hole in his side looks bad, but the rash in the first pic looks like a chemical burn. Hit the fish with a flashlight at night to see if there are any bugs on it. I had a bug a long time ago that ate holes in a clown fish. I caught the fish and pulled the pod off it.. good luck.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it possible that is a sting from a coral? The hole in his side looks bad, but the rash in the first pic looks like a chemical burn. Hit the fish with a flashlight at night to see if there are any bugs on it. I had a bug a long time ago that ate holes in a clown fish. I caught the fish and pulled the pod off it.. good luck.

That looks like an injury - thats now a bacterial inection I would think you need an antibiotic bath - not an oral antibiotic..

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bath in Ruby Reef Rally for 60-90 minutes and then into a QT with NFG powder or the "Trifecta" of Metro + Kanaplex + Furan2 would be a good move before the infection damages the internal organs.

+1^ get in QT asap and treat antibacterial trifecta. As @Big G stated prior the ruby rally bath would be beneficial or Methylene Blue bath.

OP
OP
tigé21v

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all who replied.
Unfortunately, the fish would have been next to impossible to catch without tearing the tank apart. I also didn't want to add any stress to the fish, or its tank mates.
I figured the best thing I could do was let nature run its course. But I did what I could to tip the scales in its favor, and take advantage of the fish's biggest asset- he is a pig with fins.
I kept food in front of him as much as possible. Kicked up the auto feeders, put nori in constantly, and continued adding the kanaplex/focus to the frozen.
Knock on wood, but I think he is out of the danger zone.
20200128_174730.jpg

Luckily he was strong enough to fight through it. I would've hated to lose him. He's been with me for more than 10 years.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all who replied.
Unfortunately, the fish would have been next to impossible to catch without tearing the tank apart. I also didn't want to add any stress to the fish, or its tank mates.
I figured the best thing I could do was let nature run its course. But I did what I could to tip the scales in its favor, and take advantage of the fish's biggest asset- he is a pig with fins.
I kept food in front of him as much as possible. Kicked up the auto feeders, put nori in constantly, and continued adding the kanaplex/focus to the frozen.
Knock on wood, but I think he is out of the danger zone.
20200128_174730.jpg

Luckily he was strong enough to fight through it. I would've hated to lose him. He's been with me for more than 10 years.
im so happy he has improved. He looks so much better. Nice job!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

• Other.

Back