Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I am setting up a new tank in the coming month RS 650P and thinking out loud here.

I prob dont need it but I would like some extra bio meda in the sump area.
my options are:

1)sand in the fuge area -prob the cheapest option but might require the most work to stir it and clean in from time to time.
2) seachems matrix -I use this still in my nano and holding tank and like it. you dont get a ton for your $$ tho.
3) real live rock from TBS or KP aquatics lots of life and bacteria.
4) Brightwell Xport brick dont know much about these really
5) marin pure balls or squares I hear they fall about after a while tho. :( and not cheap
6) dry rock

the DT is going to be somewhat minimalist not crazy bare but not a pile of rock either. also will have sand no not even sure I need media in the sump?
tank will have skimmer, ATS and UV running with carbon if I need.

I kinda like the idea of LS or LR for the bac. and help mature the tank.
I know its not a make it or break it topic here. just wondering what you all have used and why. what worked and did not work for you?

cheers and happy reefing!

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the dry rock and let the life populate it from your tank. Its not for display, so who cares what it looks like? Ive always thought rock has a greater ability to hold extra critters as well as microbes than sand.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was recommended those flat cut sheets of rock in place of an acrylic skimmer stand, more stable and more surface area too.

Mark Teitelman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends a bit on how much rock you have in display. If you go more minimalist, then you would want (IMHO) a significant amount of Marine Pure, Brightwell or live rock in the sump...personally I would not use sand in sump, unless you are doing a Fuge...I like the combo of the Marine Pure blocks plus live rock in display.

Keep in mind that if you use dry rock in display and also in sump, it will take a lot longer to get the microfauna developed...check out a bunch of build threads with folks who go dry and the ones who use live. Some do a combo of live and dry. Really up to you, strong arguments for both.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was recommended those flat cut sheets of rock in place of an acrylic skimmer stand, more stable and more surface area too.

that is a great idea! my skimmer stand is DIY glass with pvc legs with holes drill in I was thinking of using martix or rock rubble there just cuz.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends a bit on how much rock you have in display. If you go more minimalist, then you would want (IMHO) a significant amount of Marine Pure, Brightwell or live rock in the sump...personally I would not use sand in sump, unless you are doing a Fuge...I like the combo of the Marine Pure blocks plus live rock in display.

Keep in mind that if you use dry rock in display and also in sump, it will take a lot longer to get the microfauna developed...check out a bunch of build threads with folks who go dry and the ones who use live. Some do a combo of live and dry. Really up to you, strong arguments for both.

DT rock will be real reef rock with added bac, ( turbo start 900 ) love that stuff.
I have started tanks with both KP and TBS rock in the past supper smooth cycle for sure.

that said I might use 10# of rock from one of them to seed. the tank but the TBS rock had a snapping shrimp and the tank was in my bedroom bugged me haha

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio media that can be used for skimmer stand

some do like the bio bricks but some around the reef say they fall apart.
in the past i made a skimmer stand out of PCV and glass top. drilled holes in the PVC for flow through so I could ad LR rubble or any small bio media.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%

Back