Best inexpensive camera to buy to take pics?

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand this is prob a dymb questionbc if i want the best quality i need to invest in a very very nice camera! But im on a tight budget and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a camera that would take wonderful clear good quality photos of my corals and fish....

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two cameras for my aquarium photos:
If you already have a modern smartphone, you already own a really good camera. The trick for getting good photos of coral from a smartphone is to use a $28 AquariClip gel filter to adjust for the typical blue light effect, or to adjust your lighting spectrum temporarily while you're shooting photos. Alternatively you can use the Aquarium Camera app (about $3 for IOS or Android) to filter out some of the blue via software.

Here are a few sample shots.

Nikon D610 w/ 200mm macro:
Green Slimer.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 11.36.44 AM.png

iPhone 6s w/AquariClip orange filter:
IMG_3494.jpg

iPhone 6s w/Aquarium Camera app:
IMG_3847.jpg

Last edited:

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your Budget?

The Word Inexpensive is Subjective.

To one Person Inexpensive is $10
To the Next Person Inexpensive is $1,000

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two cameras for my aquarium photos:
If you already have a modern smartphone, you already own a really good camera. The trick for getting good photos of coral from a smartphone is to use a $28 AquariClip gel filter to adjust for the typical blue light effect, or to adjust your lighting spectrum temporarily while you're shooting photos. Alternatively you can use the Aquarium Camera app (about $3 for IOS or Android) to filter out some of the blue via software.

Here are a few sample shots.

Nikon D610 w/ 200mm macro:

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 11.36.44 AM.png

iPhone 6s w/AquariClip orange filter:
IMG_3494.jpg

iPhone 6s w/Aquarium Camera app:
IMG_3847.jpg

Wow really amaxing pictures !!!!! I really love how clear the very first pic is with your Nikon! Man its so clear!!! Do they make a Nikon that would take just as clear photis but say minus $3,000?

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say if i could get a good Nikon for less that $400 that would take these clear of pics that would be perfect

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow really amaxing pictures !!!!! I really love how clear the very first pic is with your Nikon! Man its so clear!!! Do they make a Nikon that would take just as clear photis but say minus $3,000?

That's nothing...Here's a crop of that same photo at 100%:

Green Slimer Detail.png

The Nikon 200mm f/4 macro lens is just unbelievable. I've been wanting to buy this lens for about 5 years, but finally went for it recently and I can't believe the detail it can capture.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp Lab Lens.jpg

Polyp Labe Lens 2.jpg

Polyp Lab Lens 4.jpg

Polyp Lab Lens 3.jpg

I know it is not a Camera itself but it would be the least expensive option.

https://www.polyplab.com/products/polyplab-coral-view-lens

I just got this and have been Taking the Best Pictures that I have ever Taken of Coral.

It has 3 Lenses and they are Stackable.

Orange
Yellow
10X Macro Lens

I use the

10X Macro Lens with the Orange Lens Over it for the Best Pictures.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doo any businesses rent cameras to use for personal photography?

Check out camerarentals.com or lensrentals.com. Also, many local camera shops will rent equipment. I recently rented a Nikon D850 for a weekend to see if it would be worth upgrading. To be honest, the photos weren't significantly better than my D610, so I couldn't justify paying $3200 for the upgrade. I'm still super happy with my D610.

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The important thing is the lens then the camera. Third could be the post-processing such as in Lightroom for adjusting white balance and colors.

You can get a cheap used camera under $1k easily. The lens can be a few hundred to over $1k depending on what you buy.

I have a super old Canon 7D and a cheaper 60mm canon macro lens that takes great handheld photos using a underwater lens port such as avast porthole.

The 7D can probably be found used for under $500 nowadays.

7d22166e714e891f1ce7fdffdd0d6617.jpg

c9ec34893c79d465d298058074efba87.jpg

11a20b74007b924a5401101497ea9d3b.jpg

5a9e3e1f0d72456aed7244132e7e79cb.jpg

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a used 7d.. or maybe it's a 40d? works great it is just my back up camera body so I never use it. You can also buy older lenses that have a different mount style for suuuuuper cheap then just use an adapter ring.

cannon has a d type 200mm macro lens that is awesome sauce and it's like $250 used.

sh4rkbyt3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My take on this in a moment. Feeding my coral brb.

Last edited:

sh4rkbyt3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a dumb question at all really. If you have one of the latest Apple or Galaxy phones you'd likely be better off simply getting a lens filter.
If however, you plan on taking a lot more shots and not just of your tank then you may want to consider a dSLR. I use both but prefer my digital camera as I've already learned how to use full "manual" mode. You can use some of the other settings too such as apeture, etc. but full manual made more sense to me. There will be a bit of a learning curve though so don't expect Jacques Cousteau type photography right off the bat lol. With a camera lens and a filter you'd probably be much better off if expense is an issue as well as time.
Your choice in the end.

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a dumb question at all really. If you have one of the latest Apple or Galaxy phones you'd likely be better off simply getting a lens filter.
If however, you plan on taking a lot more shots and not just of your tank then you may want to consider a dSLR. I use both but prefer my digital camera as I've already learned how to use full "manual" mode. You can use some of the other settings too such as apeture, etc. but full manual made more sense to me. There will be a bit of a learning curve though so don't expect Jacques Cousteau type photography right off the bat lol. With a camera lens and a filter you'd probably be much better off if expense is an issue as well as time.
Your choice in the end.
thanks man for the advice....really going to put that into thought and practice!

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my mother has had this camera. but when i turn it on, the big viewing screen looks like its cracked on the inside and different colors so no viewing unless i get a memory card and take pics than hook it up to my computer......but not sure, im guessing this camera will do just fine huh?

IMG_20181003_214548.jpg
IMG_20181003_214604.jpg

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another option is inexpensive gopro clones. some even have diving mode, which simply adds a red filter. just enclose it in underwater case, and dip the whole camera into your tank and take pictures or video.

slowngreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with Nikon point and shoot cameras. My current one is a p600, paid $200 give or take and my last one was a L110... I cant get the level of macros these guys get with dslr's but I'm pleased with what I can get.

DSCN2534.JPG

DSCN2535.JPG

DSCN2536.JPG

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with Nikon point and shoot cameras. My current one is a p600, paid $200 give or take and my last one was a L110... I cant get the level of macros these guys get with dslr's but I'm pleased with what I can get.

DSCN2534.JPG

DSCN2535.JPG

DSCN2536.JPG
Yeah man those arevery good pictures!!!!! I found a coolpix s6000 for $25 on facebook marketplace thats like new and has all the cords that come with it....would this camera maybe take pics close to yours?

slowngreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man those arevery good pictures!!!!! I found a coolpix s6000 for $25 on facebook marketplace thats like new and has all the cords that come with it....would this camera maybe take pics close to yours?

Im gonna say no. It won't have the adjust-ability you need. My last camera was a P90 Nikon not a l110 like I said first. Heres a pic I got with it a few years ago. I looked and saw several under $100 on ebay. Biggest part is you will need patience, a tripod and more patience. Took me a long time to get it setup good and I don't remember what those setting were now.

034-4.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back