Best Invert to eat Hair Algae in tank

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am battling a hair algae out break currently in my tank. I like going the natural way in my tank to remove the problem. I wanted to see what have people used that just completely mowed down the hair algae. I thought about getting a sea hare but I have read that they can nuke my tank. Tuxedo urchin and some snails look like they may be my best options but maybe their is something I am not thinking off that people have had success with. Thanks for any advice.

For people wondering about parameters and stuff. My tank is a CVUE 40 gallon tank
PH 8.05
Temp 76.7
Alk 11.85
Calcium 440
Magnesium 1269
Phosphate .29 (GFO just ran out and just replaced yesterday normally around .09

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pluck as much out as you can by hand. Siphon it - you can run it through a net and put the water back into the tank. Do all that you can mechanically to remove as much as possible.

Then order pin cushion urchins from the Keys. Reeftopia.com is my go-to. Cerith snails are monsters for their size too. I would get 4 urchins until you get it under control and then you can give some away to the locals if they start to eat too much coralline when they are done with the soft algae.

When really battling, you have to round up the urchins and put them back on the rocks with the algae... they like to wander and just eat film (the easy stuff). My point is that you doing work will help a LOT during this struggle.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, you will have to get the phosphate down if you want any inverts to thrive... tuxedo, hares, lettuce slugs, pin cushions, etc. They are all sensitive to P that is too high. Since this is on your list anyway, probably no issue, but just remember that they can all die as P rises long before most corals really care too much.

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I currently been removing little patches a see and I think the Urchins is def the thing I want to add in.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They pick up things and carry them around as protection - snail shells, small pieces of rubble, etc. It is fun, but not if it is your prized coral that is not mounted well enough. Make sure that your things are secure. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pull as much you can yes and best cleaners are:
Carribean Blue Leg hermits, Large Cerith snails, Chiton , Turbo grazer snail, Fighting Conch, Emerald Crabs, and pin cushion Urchin

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back